Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting the door forward possible?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Car was hit in the front right fender...I found this out during the paint removal process of the fender...hey! what's with all this dust...oh $hit! sad.gif And there's a wrinkle about midway on the passenger long so I it looks like the car was put on a straightener but pulled a little too much so now the passenger door has a 1/4" gap along the front edge, thus there is no door glass to body seal contact. The top of the window hits the targa seal, luckily, but the A.5 pillar (the corner window post) doesn't contact the seal nor does the corner window glass.

I've adjusted doors in/out but not forward/rearward and it doesn't look possible anyway. So can the corner window be adjusted forward? Can the car be put on a straightening machine (what are they called?) and, uhm, compressed to shorten the gap? The door/fender gap has plenty of room for the car to be compressed biggrin.gif
markb
Sounds like you need to take the car to a reputable shop & have them measure everything. There's a large screw on the bottom of the door that allows the pillar to tilt forward a bit, you might try that. It will probably screw up all your other adjustments, tho.
Kerrys914
There is some adjustment on the door windows. Mine is currently too far aft and I have a small gap up at the top.
If you pull the door panel off you will see some nuts wub.gif and the sloted areas.

There isn't alot of adjustment but there is some smash.gif
John
You mention the front gap is large. How is the back gap?

Some measurements should be made.

The door hinge post (where the two door hinges bolt to) is not an extremely strong member and can be bumped forward without too much effort with a hammer or a porta-power (hydraulic ram). By moving the hinge post forward, one could move the door forward closing up the gap, but the rear gap will increase the same amount as the front gap closes. Also be sure to move both hinge locations the same amount to keep the door aligned.

You know, a pic or two would help.
xsboost90
yes there is an adjustment at the bottom of the door that if you take the nut loose and adjust the flat head screw it goes in / out -not too far youll dent the door panel- and IIRC the top can slide slightly forward and back if you take the door panel off.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 1 2005, 05:53 PM)
...You know, a pic or two would help.

You turkeys and your pictures smile.gif
Here ya go:
Air_Cooled_Nut
ohmy.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
ohmy.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
The whole door opening needs to be squished otherwise the rear gap will be too big. Guess I gotta live w/it until I can afford a body adjustment sad.gif
LvSteveH
Based on the door gaps in the pics, the front doesn't look too bad, looks like 1/4", where factory is probably around 1/8 - 3/16". Back by the door handle it looks like you have an extra 1/8".

As mentioned, the door guide and window are adjustable, via two nuts once the panel is removed. The aluminum window guide has a bit of adjustment built in, but you can enlarge the holes some to get a better fit. It's a trial and error thing. Start with getting the door itself adjusted as well as you can with regard to the body lines and gaps, then work on the window guide/wing window fit to the body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.