Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No power to headlamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
Hello to everyone, wavey.gif

I was out in the 74' car last evening, headlamps on all normal, when they suddenly went black... ohmy.gif

I limped it home, "using" others for headlamps.

The lights motor up and down as they should and the running lights function normally.

I guess my main question is which relay drives power to the headlights?

Furthermore, if the relay is well, can I "check" the headlight switch without removing it from the dash?

TIA,

John
McMark
You've checked your fuses, right? No highs and no lows?
Flat VW
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 1 2005, 03:33 PM)
You've checked your fuses, right? No highs and no lows?

Yes Mark no highs or lows, fuses normal--

John
smooth_eddy
Seems like I saw a complete diagram of the lighting circuit at Pelicans site? I will see if I can find it again. Eddy
Flat VW
Yeah SE, that current diagram is "here" too, I can't make sense of it in the four pieces it comes in though, I printing it now so I can literally "cut and paste" it.

Thanks,

John
McMark
Sounds like the headlamp relay is the first place to check. Pull the fuse panel down and it's the little silver box. Check for power at the red/white wire. That one comes from the headlamp switch.
Flat VW
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 1 2005, 03:57 PM)
Sounds like the headlamp relay is the first place to check. Pull the fuse panel down and it's the little silver box. Check for power at the red/white wire. That one comes from the headlamp switch.

Yes already have it down, I thought it was the high/low beam selector, does it function as the "power relay" as well?

John
Flat VW
Yes (+) power at the relay when the headlight switch is turned on. That highbeam switch has acted "flakey" in the past, if that is the "power relay" also it musta "gone south".

Is that an Autozone type item, or must it be euro type auto parts?

Thanks for your help

John
bd1308
it looks autozone-ish....but could not be......

looks like the 5pin relay i got at radioshack for my electric windshield washer conversion i did at 1am.....

b
Flat VW
I'm gonna "rob one" out of my 75' non-runner knew there was a reason for keeping it besides the "great investment". screwy.gif

John
Dr. Roger
I can tell you that if you put the 2 largest red wires together that attach to the headlight switch, the headlights will come on. =-)
McMark
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 1 2005, 04:21 PM)
it looks autozone-ish....but could not be......

Why would you even type that? screwy.gif
94teener
Pin 56 on the headlight switch may be burned out. It has a RD/WH wire attached to it.

Phil
Flat VW
Peace has returned to the Valley. laugh.gif

Bad headlight relay, switched it out for the one out of the 75' car.

Thanks for you time Mark,et al.

Now I can go to the night autocross and watch and see if Greg Robbins (alias: gregrobbins) will continue to lead his class (well last week he was the only one in his class). piratenanner.gif

thanks again,

John w00t.gif
McMark
clap.gif

Glad to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.