Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrist Pin Etching
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I have these wrist pins for a stock 2.0 six cylinder motor. Most of them have a slight etching to them. I'm not sure of the history of the motor so I don't know what might have caused it. I suspect water. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Should I continue to look for replacement wrist pins? Or use these? They can be slightly felt with a fingernail.
MartyYeoman
Keep looking for a flawless set.
I have ruined a rebuild in the past due to a wrist pin failure.
McMark
Yeah, I know/knew what the answer was, but just thought I'd check. Kind of a wishful-thinking post. dry.gif
Twystd1
Could it be from water/moisture acting as as an electrolyte and the two dissimilar metals acting as an anode and a cathode? (Tool Steel VS Aluminum?)

This kinda makes a battery of sorts. Usually the aluminum turns to shit first as it breaks down faster. The wrist pin damage could be from this galvanic action.

Ive seen that before. I just can't remember what the hell the outcome of the research was... JeeZzz i'm getting old...

Twystd1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.