Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Options.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
guiltless
I am new to the 914 world. I am in the tear down phase of a 1970 and am trying to plan ahead. I really want to do a swap to a Subaru engine and I am a little lost as to which tranny to go with.
The powerplant will most likely be an EJ20t making around 285hp at the crank. I know my stock tranny will take about 300 hp, but I really want to be able to drive this car hard. Here is another variable, if I can get a strong tranny I may go with the STI EJ25t.

So what do you guys think is the way to go, or at least some ways I could go?

Stay with the 901?
Swap to a 915? (An option, but how much does this cost?)
Is there a conversion that eliminates the AWD from the Subie tranny?

Anything else that y'all would recommend?

Thanx a bunch
-Chris
MecGen
Hi Chris

Welcome aboard smilie_pokal.gif

The 901 is a good trans, for up too 300 hp. Of course a 915 is a better trans .....but it will cost you!.

As for other types of trannies, getting them to mount up to the motor, is not a problem, its the rest of the swap that needs to be addressed, axle position, shifter linkage, etc.....Neo is working on Boxer trans swap, I am leaning to a Audi trans. I will try to find my links and flip them your way.

See Ya
Later

Andyrew
From what I've seen, 915 trani's cost 3-5k done. 930's cost 5-8k done, and the rest have remain to be seen....

BTW...

Go with a 901. Unless you have 5k bucks to spend on a trani, then stick with the 901 for about a year, and upgrade when you feel like you need it.

Im was running around 350 tq on my trani about a month ago, I just changed the timing so I have more hp, around 300. Thats running on my v8, and I dont drive it soft.

Andrew
Aaron Cox
welcome! from another SoCal'r

BTW - andyrew pretty much nailed it in his post....

some people are trying an AUDI or BOXSTER/S trans.... we will see how it works
Brad Roberts
Boxster trans swap, I am leaning to a Audi trans.

The 2.5 and 2.7 Boxster tranny is "identical" to the Audi front wheel drive box. The Boxster S box is identical to the 996box with the diff flip. The 2.5 box has different gearing than the 2.7.

In my honest opinion.. go with a Scooby box that bolts up. Make sure it is cabled shifted (they all could be..I dont know) We take C4 Porsche boxes and convert them to two wheel drive. We literally cut the PTO style output off flush and install a factory C2 nose cone. Works fine. We convert a lot of C4's to 2 wheels drive including 996TT's to two wheel drive ala GT2 style.

I know there are Scooby boxes out there that are two wheel drive. You wont find them in the snow states...

Oh.. as far as Felix goes.. he is using a Boxster box behind a Audi engine.. bolts on..

B
neo914-6
QUOTE (MecGen @ Oct 2 2005, 12:19 AM)
Hi Chris

Welcome aboard    :trophy:

The 901 is a good trans, for up too 300 hp. Of course a 915 is a better trans .....but it will cost you!.

As for other types of trannies, getting them to mount up to the motor, is not a problem, its the rest of the swap that needs to be addressed, axle position, shifter linkage, etc.....Neo is working on Boxer trans swap, I am leaning to a Audi trans. I will try to find my links and flip them your way.

See Ya
Later

Chris,

Welcome to 914's and conversions! clap.gif

For Suby power, Brad has good advise. Why bolt a 30 year old tranny IF you can make the Suby work...If you must stay with 901 at least make sure it is rebuilt or in great condition. You can do what us V8 guys do: use the 901 until it breaks and have a spare...

The 915 is stronger than the 901 (built for 6 vs 4) but the WEVO mid-engine shifter will set you back over $2k. You may still need to flip the R&P which may cost another $2k. At this point you may as well upgrade to the 930 since it won't be much more $. There's also the brackets and speedo to adapt.

The Boxster transaxle will take alot of fab to work with the Suby or TIV. It's still being experimented for TIV, search Mueller/boxster. It's just been adapted to a V8 but there is no history of usage. A boxster S transaxle has been adapted to a -6 but was very costly see abc914 . You don't mention budget to your project...

Haven't heard much about Audi to TIV except for one running an automatic.

Suby conversions have been done and also developed and marketed by Renegade. The simplest way is to buy their $3k kit/radiator and an engine...not cheap but you could be up and running in a couple of months...

oh, and check the 914 conversion list in my signature. You'll find a list of Suby conversions and the owner ID's. Look for your name too smile.gif

good luck and post progress,
guiltless
Thank you all for all the ideas... keep 'em coming.

As far as my budget goes, I am willing to save a bit to do things rigeht, but if i don't have to spend the money, I won't.

The suby tranny idea sounds interesting, I am definately going to have to look into that one. I sould love to put in an EJ25t if I can get a tranny that can handle it, but I have no problem "settling" for 285hp with my 901 trans.

We shall see. If any owners with suby transplants see this, I would love to pm with you and find out how you went about your conversion.
Mueller
to me, using the subaru transmission seems like a good choice.....the adapter needed to use the 914 transmission will cost in the $500 to $600 range, how much are suby transmissions?

i've heard of one transplant using the suby transmission, supposedly it is a suby 6 and suby transmission from one of those ugly XT models

not sure how much HP the suby tranny can handle, but figure it'll be under less stress in a 914 due to the 914 weighing about 1000 pounds less smile.gif

also, the standard suby tranny is stressed out by applying power to all 4 wheels instead of 2...
SirAndy
i kind of agree with the above. stick with the 901 and see how it will hold up. chances are, it'll be just fine ...

if not, you can still upgrade to a 915 later ...
wink.gif Andy
redshift
Well, you have transvestite, that's just putting on clothes, then you have transexual, which is alot like transvestite...

unsure.gif

Not sure what this has to do with 914s though..

M
bondo
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 2 2005, 11:15 AM)

I know there are Scooby boxes out there that are two wheel drive. You wont find them in the snow states...

As far as I know, subaru hasn't made a 2wd car since the pre-WRX era (late 80s/early 90s?) Those transmissions were behind engines with under 150 HP, and I doubt they would hold up better than a 901.

Now taking a WRX trans or better yet an STI trans and disabling the 4wd.. now you've got something. Too bad they're so expensive.. but it must be a do-able mod.
jimkelly
You want to contact the newlywed Scott Thacher.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=34447&hl=

Do you really need 285HP - can you live with 165 - is a question you may want to ask yourself?

Good luck,

Jim
WRX914
My roommate has a WRX in a 914 with the 901 trans. Works great, he roasts the tires everywhere he goes... No problems as of yet! That 914 hauls rear! Beats almost anything that he races. My WRX-teener is just about out of the bodyshop, and I have everything to convert... engine, 901 trans, 911 carrera front end, radiatior, new everything should be complete in three to four more months.

Nothing is impossible... just expensive!!! mueba.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 3 2005, 10:48 AM)
Well, you have transvestite, that's just putting on clothes, then you have transexual, which is alot like transvestite...

unsure.gif

Not sure what this has to do with 914s though..

M

never thought of it in those terms... screwy.gif laugh.gif
d914
I'm working on the suby tranny issue set up for mid engine.

low mileage tranny 500-2000 miles w/ midengine layout 3k
looking at kit to do same 500+
tranny w/ engine $500 extra.
STI tranny now we're talking $$$$

Plus billet and dog gears available and all kind of gear ratios
guiltless
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Oct 3 2005, 12:24 PM)
You want to contact the newlywed Scott Thacher.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=34447&hl=

Do you really need 285HP - can you live with 165 - is a question you may want to ask yourself?

Good luck,

Jim

Not so much a matter of need, unless the need is to kick ass.
banksyinoz
beerchug.gif
cheers ay
the sub box can be done 2wd easy;
disconnect electrics to clutch packs for rear output
cut rear off box or cut 2 1/2 in hole in rear panel
cap rear drive with welchplug
box will then come back far enough for the drive shafts to be square
auto box- cable shift
manual-as in six speed- like vw /shaft from rear of box?????
turn intake manifold around, when air con pump is removed the bracket can be ground off enough to allow the alternator to be flipped into position thus allowing the throttle body to sit properly,oil filler neck can be spun around with a 1/4 inch approx spacer under it
fuel rails can be modded to accomodate which ever side you want them on.
we used all suby mounts but fabricated a cradle that picked up on the porsche mounts ,2x2in heavy box and angle steel (simple) welder.gif
put radiator in the front its the best spot
if turbo may need to extend turbo inlet/exhaust to sit further down

have fun and keep in touch, no questions r 2 hard

ej20t, wolf computer, gt28 turbo , 300hp@ 2bar
ej25t wolf computer, gt28 turbo , 500hp@2 bar
100hp nitro BANG
must be screwy.gif
jsteele22
I jsut found this thread, and have a couple of Q's :

How is the weight of a suby tranny compared to a 901 ?

Will a suby tranny fit under a 914 w/o cutting into trunk area ?

Is there actually someone on this forum that has installed a suby engine plus suby manual transmission ? Does the stock 914 shifter couple into the transmission ?
Andyrew
AFAIK no one has tried the subi trani... so there no info on that yet.

Unless d914 has some...

but no, everything will need to be fabricated.... lol
banksyinoz
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Oct 5 2005, 09:53 AM)

Will a suby tranny fit under a 914 w/o cutting into trunk area ?

Is there actually someone on this forum that has installed a suby engine plus suby manual transmission ? Does the stock 914 shifter couple into the transmission ?

tranny will fit but needs engine and gearbox mounts fabricated the starter will be close to the floor but with minimal massage on the floor of the trunk it should be ok
i cut mine out and will use an inspection plate to cover it up

914 shifter will not fit but may be used as part of the solution

the sti ej20t with six speed we did here had the shift shaft sticking out of the top of the box at the back facing backwards ,we were intending to use front wheel drive style linkage setup but havent got that far yet

as im not using 4wd i am going to cut the back off the box to give more room( will tap in some 10mm threads and plate if off) the suby box is longer and probably heavier however the parts are becoming cheaper to get and the variety of gearsets is increasing

i guess either way has its ups and downs it just depends on the bank balance

sad.gif just dont get upset and sell it , make it work and then enjoy driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.