Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Heater on and Car Dies?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Ok - I am trying to get all the bugs out of my car and I decide to take it on the freeway today. Farthest I've been away from my house since I started reassembling the car and turn on the heat via the floor lever and the car dies and would not restart?? The fan blower was in the "on" position and still works but the car will not start. As soon as I turned it on the car lost all power? I assumed it was the fuel pump? Any ideas??
rhodyguy
aux fan and pump have their own fuses. check the fuse on the relay board? if you push the floor lever slightly down (so the fan doesn't run) does the car start?

k
Brad Roberts
Kevin is correct. It is probably fuse. Flip another relay in place and replace the fuse. Make sure the contacts for the fuse are all clean on the relay board.

B
vesnyder
I did push the lever down and nothing? Which fuse and relay do you suggest changing? I swapped some relays and fuses around while waiting for the tow truck and nothing?
Brad Roberts
On the relay board in the engine compartment you have two fuses towards the front of the car. Spin them in the holders.. The other thing that happens: the hot wire for the Aux air regulator can touch to ground and pop the fuel pump fuse. This one isnt easy to spot. The wire going into the AAR can touch the AAR and cause all kinds of headaches.

B
vesnyder
I replaced both of the fuses on the relay board along with the relay - nothing! I also checked for spark and that looks OK. Next I will check the pump for power. I will check the AAR - anything else??
redshift
Work the heater handle... that switch (fully up) is just a ground... I have a feeling there is more going on there, than what would be visible.

M
redshift
Oh, pull the heater fan relay, and see if that helps.

M
vesnyder
I pulled the heater fan relay and nothing? I checked the fuel pumpand it is not getting any power and I am not sure what to try next? I did pull the heat level and the electrical connection fell off completely - should I worry about that? Is the fan only supposed to work when the heat lever is grounded? Would that affect the fuel pump?
redshift
That wire is a ground... so yes. Anytime it's touching, your heater blower should be on.

I think you need to look at the relay board, sounds like a problem.. it's one of those things that can drive you mad.. and sometimes, tighter relay pins don't help..

Just go over everything... from the problems, to the relay board, to the fuse box.

M
McMark
Try swapping your relays around. Sometimes they fail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.