Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Spring Rate would you choose...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
2.5" or 2.625" 8"/10" coil's will be used...

currently have 19mm tbars, and 180 progressives,
upping to 22m torsion bars, and adjustable coilovers in the rear...

what spring rate would make a good balance.... that i could fin tune with my sway bar

-AA
Andyrew
220? 250?

Thats what IM going with... and I have a big v8 in the back....

but.. then again, im running the stock front sway bar.
Allan
Bigger motor... wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 2 2005, 11:04 AM)
Bigger motor... wink.gif

someday...

im thinking 175 or 200 lb....
Brad Roberts
What sway bar? Factor it all in.

The Tarret on full soft doesnt like anything over a 22 front bar unless you go 225plus in the rear. The car ends up riding like shit.

B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 09:57 AM)
currently have 19mm tbars, and 180 progressives,
upping to 22m torsion bars, and adjustable coilovers in the rear...

Do you like the current balance?

The 22mm t-bars will be (22^4 / 19^4) = 1.7975... So, they'd be about 1.8 times as stiff as the 19s.

Progressive springs complicate the calculations at the rear. We can take a guess that they're at "about" 140 lb/in rate in the "happy" range. So 1.8 * 140 == 252, so I would think 250 lb/in springs would give you a similar balance to what you have.

--DD
campbellcj
I have 22's with 225's in back, with the rear swaybar hooked up (full soft). Without a rear bar I think you'd want 250+ as pointed out above.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Oct 2 2005, 12:19 PM)
I have 22's with 225's in back, with the rear swaybar hooked up (full soft). Without a rear bar I think you'd want 250+ as pointed out above.

Tarret Sway (can set anywhere)
Stock Rear Bar

current setup blows. kinda pushes, gotta play with more sway bar etc...
200's?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 10:57 AM)
what spring rate would make a good balance.... that i could fin tune with my sway bar

you got a rear bar?

if so, 200lbs, if not 250lbs ...
cool.gif Andy
J P Stein
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2005, 11:23 AM)

Tarret Sway (can set anywhere)
Stock Rear Bar

current setup blows. kinda pushes, gotta play with more sway bar etc...
200's?

Yeah, well, me too. It's been set on full soft with progressivly
more rear springs. I'm about to go softer in front.....T-barswise.
I'm up to 300# in the rear (no sway bar in back) and I still have to work to make it oversteer. This costs me time as I don't always do it right. I am not going stiffer in the rear. If I can't find some softer T-bars, I'll have the 22mms ground down. With the rear bar, you prolly will be able to get away with less stiff springs that mine...but what do you do when the rear tire lifts....and you WILL reach that point. LSD?
Brad Roberts
Here is what I have done on Trekkors car:

Stock T-bars and a large bar. A sway bar set on full soft does me NO good. The only other thing you can do is disconnect it completely and run the car. I want adjustability. Just recently we ordered 5 way adjustable front and rear bars for the Boxster because nobody offered anything more than a 3 way for the rear.

If you have stock t-bars now and a bar set on full soft.. and you cant get oversteer.. we need to chat.

B
Aaron Cox
Also, where do you guys get your rear coils? (2.5 or 2.625?)
Jim Johnson (SCCA 914 cuy) said to try some dirttrack places....

so im thinkin tarett on soft, 22mm tbars, stock rear sway, and 200 lb springs.
KenH
22mm Torsion, 175# springs working REAL well for me.

Torsion Bars & Springs should be just big enough to keep the car from "bottoming" out. Understeer/Oversteer set with sway bars.

Ken
Aaron Cox
Brad- i missed your post (snuck it in as i posted)
i have 8's and 225's on the the rear, with 7's and 205's up front. i CAN get oversteer, but then the car leans a bunch...

I hate the weight transfer i get with the stock torsion bars (911), i go hard accel to brake, and it nose dives a ton... but the rear doesnt squat much under super hard throttle.....

Ken - springs are about 50 ish a piece, maybe ill start at 175's and play around from there....
Brad Roberts
What I have found with *some* of the dirt track springs: Inconsistant spring rates on the tester. Pay for an Eibach or or H&R. The club is setup with the West coast distributor for both.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Oct 2 2005, 01:57 PM)
What I have found with *some* of the dirt track springs: Inconsistant spring rates on the tester. Pay for an Eibach or or H&R. The club is setup with the West coast distributor for both.

B

Eibach is corona also.... wink.gif
Brad Roberts
I didnt realize you where running 7's and 8's now. As far as nose dive under braking: Dont brake as hard. I'm reading more and more data on pro-drivers and I'm seeing them brake early and semi softly and get back on the gas. It baffled me the first time I read data on Randy Pobst. Just from his data I could tell when he was passing somebody under braking and when he was running a clean hot lap. His braking points and "on gas" time totally changed.

I'll have to think about the 7's and 8's.

B
Trekkor
Here is what I have done on Trekkors car:

Quite a few club members have ridden with me in my car.
Maybe somone will describe the...Ahem...Experience. ohmy.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.