Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riviera rim rub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWnDRAG
I’m exhausted. I’m ready just curl up in the corner and weep. I didn’t want to post another, “what size tire” question without first doing a little homework on my own. I’ve been through seven pages of search results for [Riviera] and a few more for [tire]. I even played with the “tire size calculator” in the [914 info] section. Lots of GREAT information but I think now I’m even more confused. Best I can figure, I should go with a 195/65//15. That’s about the closest size to our old 165R15’s and shouldn’t rub the rear fender. But, I have Riviera rims and think even a 914 Riviera has a slightly different offset and might need even a slightly thinner tire. So, I guess it’s - hit the tire store and swap-till-ya-drop.

Below is a pic. My rims are dull, chipped, faded, and I need new tires. I’m at a crossroads. I could,
A) Easily drive over to Pelican and pick up a brand new set of polished Riviera’s.
B) Refinish my existing white Riviera’s. Or,
C) Not drive her much till I find a good set of Mahle’s and 16 lug bolts.
Honestly, I don’t mind my white Riviera’s. But, they need work and have a larger center cap I can’t seem to find anywhere.
And, a good set of 4 lug Mahle’s are hard to find.

Suggestions?

Who thought tire shopping would be such a hassle?

Tom

Aaron Cox
yep - most riv's have the bug offset.... they stick OUT too far.

some people can run a 195, some can.

best bet is get some fuchs/mahles/pedrinis that have the correct offset and one can run upto a 205 under a stock fender.
Put a WTB (want to buy) ad in the classifieds, and Im SURE youll get a response locally in a week ir two...

-Aaron
Tobra
Those look like center caps off some Western Wheels, try looking on the samba a pretty big A/C VW?/Porsche site. You might be able to find your center cap, but eventually you will want to get the right offset wheel on there, either aftermarket, or factory alloys.
dlo914
Center wheel caps on ebay these are the ones i have on my set of rivieras..you could prolly paint them white smile.gif
Tobra
These ones look more like what you have, good luck.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 2 2005, 03:25 PM)
These ones look more like what you have, good luck.

i dont think he wants to try them on his riv's
These are center caps that measure 3 1/2 at the base that were purchased for my riviera's from discount tire company in Tx but did not fit. My loss is your gain.
Tobra
5 Pedrinis for $500 very similar to a Mahle 4 lug, but does not look like he has lug nuts. If you don't stick with the Riv's
Trekkor
I ran 195/50's on my rivs.

i had to roll the one fender a little.

Now, after the extensive rolling I've done on both sides I'm sure I could fit 205's.

I've always liked the Riviera's.

KT
Brando
I've got Rivieras with 195/65 tires. The rears don't rub anymore... I took a bottle jack and some boards to the fender... Keep jacking until the fender sticks out enough. Be careful!

Results may vary with Rivs... Just have your tire guy keep trying stuff until they fit :shrug: ...
redshift
Arg!

hijacked.gif

bernbomb914
Rivieras have two differant offsets, one for VW and one for 914s I ran 195x65s and had no trouble but they were for 914s

Bernie
rhodyguy
judging from the picture those are NOT rivs. i'm pretty sure those are FORM VEES. pull one off and measure the backspacing. off hand, it should be around 4 1/2". just a touch less than than a fuch. 195/60s should work just fine. i ran a set with that size tire and there was no roll, no rub. ask to borrow 1 used 195/60 from a local member, mount one up, and bolt it on to check. fyi, you should be running the longer lugs with those rims as well. if you're not, you're asking for trouble.

ps a media blast on those will turn them into a nice clean, but dull, aluminum finish. i think they look good plain.

k
Andyrew
I beg to differ, those are rivs, You can barely see the raised area on the 5 spokes because its all painted white.

Give us a detail pic of one of the wheels and we'll tell you if there rivs, if there vw or 914 offset, or even if there formula vee's or early rivs.

VWnDRAG
Damn! Looks like I have Bug Riviera's. They have an offset of 4 inches. Mounted, I have slightly less than a 1/2 inch tire clearance on either fender. Drivers side is rolled and passenger side is not. What's up with that? confused24.gif
Guess I wont be looking for new center caps. Thanks for the links in the earlier replies. I did measure my lug bolts to make sure I have the right ones, I have 1 inch of thread. Appears long enough. Yea! smile.gif
Thanks again.
Tom.

VWnDRAG
Yeop their Riviera's. They look really bad up close, huh? ohmy.gif
hard to tell from the original pic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.