Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
what should i do with the shocks on a 72?

i dont think they have ever been changed or shown any attention.

strait replacements would cost about $195.oo per wheel
is there a specific performance one that would be better at a reasonable price?

could i rebuild the shocks or are they at this point worthless?
should i send them out to be rebuilt?
lagunero
for that price you can buy some yellow Koni's. check the club store if they are 4 lug. Bilstein are nice too.
McMark
agree.gif

I wonder if shaggy is reading the responses to these threads. confused24.gif He/She never responds. dry.gif
shaggy
i read 'em i i've read em all at least once.
ill try to respond more if that would make you happy

how hard is it to change the suspension?
is that something i can do with my friend when knows cars well? (hes helped his dad rebuild 2 ferraris and a 67 mustang and hes about 3 weeks from finishing building his mgb)

is that something i can so myself or do i need a full lift?

if i was to do this what are thes best shosks i could get for about 200 per wheel?
would i need to touch the leaf springs?
jimtab
Leaf springs?????????
McMark
Get the Koni Yellows. They're adjustable while installed in the car from hard to soft. So you can customize the ride. Both front and rear are really easy to do. You can do them yourself in an afternoon. Even without a "pro"s help. Once you're ready to install do a search or start another thread. Plenty of people will be able to give step by step advice. biggrin.gif
McMark
Oh yeah, rears are coil over springs, fronts are torsion bars. No leaf springs.
turtleman
Well the leafs begin to fall around here in New England in three to four weeks! So far I have not found any leafs in any of my Porsche 914's.

I am seeking adjustable Konis for my rear and Koni strut inserts for the front and a new set of coils too. That seemed to be one of the more popular choices based on my searching through the posts on this topic in this forum.

Hopefully, I will have a price quote tomorrow. I have an estimate of what they cost from internet searches but I would prefer to give my business to one of the 914 shops who could intervene with the supplier if I had any troubles. Plus they will benefit a bit.

If you are needing to squeeze everything out of your dollar just do price comparison shopping on the internet. But remember that you have to do all the leg work if they fail. Also remember the warranty only applies to the original purchaser.

Good luck!

Chip
Trekkor
I have the Yellow's and i really like them.

Someone told me you can actually send them out for rebuilding. I'm sold...

KT
McMark
Koni fronts are $300 for the front PAIR. So $150 per wheel. I'm asking around as to why we aren't listing the rears for sale. I know people were having a problem getting them from Koni. Check HPH as well. They usually have a few pair in stock and their prices are comparable as far as I know.
shaggy
so if i cant get em from Koni how do i go about gettin some?

is there someone on this site when has the ability ot get 'em and could ship 'em to me in phoenix az?

kinda off topic but i have these michelin (i dont spell well) low profile tires that at max should be 44psi.
what would you guys suggest i run them at?
Mueller
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 2 2005, 07:45 PM)
so if i cant get em from Koni how do i go about gettin some?

is there someone on this site when has the ability ot get 'em and could ship 'em to me in phoenix az?

kinda off topic but i have these michelin (i dont spell well) low profile tires that at max should be 44psi.
what would you guys suggest i run them at?

chances of "you" buying them from Koni is slim to none, you have to go thru a reseller/distributor

High Performance House in Redwood City (do a google for phone number)

then there is Paragon Products and lastly shox.com..not listed on the site, but e-mail for qoute...good chance one of these places will have them in stock sitting on a shelf.

do you have a front swaybar?

if not, a stock one is a good choice until you get into driving your car harder and faster and need a bigger bar

how long have you had the car? are the brakes in tip-top working order?? brakes can be more important than a fancy suspension biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.