Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Have a decision. Painted the rear lower valence, and discovered why it was not on the car. The pipe goes about 1 inch too far toward the driver's side of the car before turning posteriorly. It looks like it could be cut off and moved, but if I am going to take the thing off, I would probably get it bead blasted or something and paint it. If I am going to pay to get all this done, I could almost get a new exhaust. Any thoughts?
redshift
:whistles:

I really like my Triad..

M
Tobra
here is tip that needs to move inboard about an inch
Tobra
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 2 2005, 02:57 PM)

I really like my Triad..

M

So I guess this is a triad exhaust. Would it be worthwhile to have the tip cut off and moved to the appropriate spot. You can see how rusty it is, I may just have a new muffler put on. Any thoughts on this idea? I would be willing to refurbish the exhaust on it if I think it will last.

Will a Bursch exhaust fit without modifications and exit the valence in the right place?
Mueller
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 4 2005, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 2 2005, 02:57 PM)

I really like my Triad..

M

So I guess this is a triad exhaust. Would it be worthwhile to have the tip cut off and moved to the appropriate spot. You can see how rusty it is, I may just have a new muffler put on. Any thoughts on this idea? I would be willing to refurbish the exhaust on it if I think it will last.

Will a Bursch exhaust fit without modifications and exit the valence in the right place?

No he likes "his" Triad....

You do not have a Triad exhaust.

Kinda looks like a Burch exhaust, normally they fit fine, but something is goofy with yours due to that bracket I see off on the left hand side.

Coud be a kludged up install or pieced together.

Triad mufflers supposed to sound nice, but I believe they cost 2X of the cheaper Burch exhuast.
Aaron Cox
agree.gif with mike..

it looks like a new muffler and tip were welded on.
Triaddave
that is not a triad exhaust. if you are in a $$ pinch, the local muffler shop can expand a u-bend to fit over the stub you cut off. from there, you can weld or just use a muffler clamp. i'd install the valence first for proper fit and aliement. as far as the bursch, you get what you pay for.
Allan
QUOTE (Triaddave @ Oct 4 2005, 08:56 AM)
if you are in a $$ pinch, the local muffler shop can expand a u-bend to fit over the stub you cut off. from there, you can weld or just use a muffler clamp. i'd install the valence first for proper fit and aliement.

agree.gif Just take the valence with you to a muffler shop so they can use it for measurements and have them relocate the tip. They can just cut out a section and either make a new one or reweld the old one back on if it's still in decent shape.
Tobra
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking it looked more like a Bursch myself.

Can the new tip be welded on with the exhaust on the car without doing any damage to the vehicle? Can you weld two oxidized peices together and have it be a decent union, or does it have to be shiny? I realize these may sound like stupid questions, but the only welding I have ever done is of the JB variety(More epoxy than weld)

I was going to make a template out of cardboard, line it up with the two screw holes on that side, and use that to get the appropriate length on the tip. The muffler can is still in pretty good shape, and the pipes on the headers are rusty, but appear sound.
Triaddave
disconnect the - at battery.you can weld on. clean to clean works the best, rust will not weld and you will blow through. if in doupt,don't. use a clamp...if you can, have the tip fit to the car on the drivers right. if you ever go dual tips,the valence can be cut mirror to the other.
Tobra
If I am going to clamp it, I can do that myself, which may be the better way to go. I have a dremel with a cut-off wheel.

I could make one inch tabs by making cuts parallel to the long axis of the tubing I cut off, slide this on the outside of stub from the muffler and telescope the two pieces together then clamp it. Would that work?(Once again, sorry about the stupid questions, but I am a neophyte with working on a poorly fitted exhaust)
mightyohm
What heat exchangers do you have?

I have 2.0 heat exchangers and an exhaust JUST LIKE YOURS (including the muffler but I think the tailpipe is smaller diameter) and it clears the valence just fine!

I always wondered what exhaust I had.

Cool thing about these exhausts is that big 180 degree bend on the right side is a great place to install a wideband oxygen sensor.
Tobra
Have the regular 2.0 HE, if you look at the pic of the tip, you can see where the thing was welded on, it is just a hair too long
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.