Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I had the "Beater 914" towed again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
This guy wanted to haul my car up onto the flatbed using the axles and I told him "No you're not". He got pissed off and threatened to leave and I could call somebody else. "You trying to tell me how to do my job?" "No, I'm trying to tell you how I don't want my car loaded." I ended up telling him that whatever it took to get it done the way I wanted it done would have to do whether that menat another driver or not. I think he knew how that would have turned out.

Am I out of line telling them how I want them to handle my car?

'Nother question: I don't think the drive shafts and CV joints were intended for that sort of lateral stress. Even if they can handle it, I don't want to have to end up fixing them too in the event that they bent or worse. What do you guys think?
GWN7
Your car, your call......next time, tell him if he wants to pay for the damage he will cause to go ahead. The hook in the front is plenty strong to load the car. "Smokey's" been loaded with that hook 5 times now.
sj914
I don't think you were out of line for telling him what you don't want.
Sounds like the guy had a chip on his shoulder. Most of the time when I had to call a tow truck for my car they were prettty good about listening to how I wanted the car lifted. A couple of times they even let me slim jim my own car, when they couldn't get it open.
effutuo101
agree.gif
Sorry your car had to be towed again. But, since you know your car and they don't, i think it is ok for you to tell him how a classic should be tied down. It isn't a rice burner, I also agree that the CV's and shafts were not built to handle that type of load. I would have them checked to see if he bent them. Untold damage if he did. I would call the company and ask them if they have insurance to take car of employee induced damage. Good luck
Gint
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Oct 2 2005, 08:41 PM)
agree.gif
Sorry your car had to be towed again. But, since you know your car and they don't, i think it is ok for you to tell him how a classic should be tied down. It isn't a rice burner, I also agree that the CV's and shafts were not built to handle that type of load. I would have them checked to see if he bent them. Untold damage if he did. I would call the company and ask them if they have insurance to take car of employee induced damage. Good luck

He didn't bend them; he never got the chance. He did it my way.
Dead Air
I sold Saturns for a while when they first came out. A few of the cars were coming back to several dealers with mysterious vibrations in the front ends. Ends up the delivery drivers were using the front driveshafts to cinch down the cars on the auto carriers. new drive shafts repaired the problem. A very expensive fix though.
Brando
You were certaintly not out of line.

They do it right, or have someone else.
markb
Nicely done, Gint. We had something similar happen when we had the SC towed. We requested a flatbed, but they sent a cradlesnatcher. I told the driver we needed a flatbed. He replied he could tow it with no problem I told him, fine, but any damage was coming out of his pocket. He took off & a few minutes later a flatbed pulled up. That driver had an attitude also, so I told him the next time I needed a towtruck, I would instruct AAA to use another provider, no matter how far they had to come to pick up the car. He mellowed right out & by the end of it all was a decent guy. He began to understand how protective I am about my Porsches.
dbledsoe
Mike,

You did the right thing. I'm guessing that if he wanted to wrap around the drive shafts he was maybe trying to pull the car from the rear onto the bed. I would think that not only is it hard on the CV and drive shafts, it could possibly pull the tranny ears out of their 12mm mounting bolts. Looking at the 914 trans I don't think they were designed to take any kind of pull from the rear or a heavy rear impact without coming apart at the rear mount 12mm bolts.

It would make quite a mess of your engine and transaxle (not to mention damage to your front mounts) if the tranny ears came free of the 12mm bolts and dropped to the ground.

Don
porschecb
What was your way? Just thinking. My car is way low. and my rear tow hook is bent a little but it still works I think.
rick 918-S
I'd have sent him packing, called AAA and reported him, Then had another driver sent. They put tow eyes on these cars for a reason. Even if the (NLA CV's) and axles didn't fail as a result of the un-natural side load, The shafts are connected to the motor and transaxle which are rubber mounted. These mounts are designed for up and down stress and function as a vibration dampner, not to drag the entire chassis up on the roll back. What a dork! I feel sorry for a guy that can't even figure out how to tow a car. What does life's journey have instore for a Bubba boy like that... screwy.gif
Allan
So what exactly is the correct way to flatbed a 914?

I've only been towed once and they used the a arms and pulled it up front first...
Gint
QUOTE (porschecb @ Oct 2 2005, 09:01 PM)
What was your way? Just thinking. My car is way low. and my rear tow hook is bent a little but it still works I think.

My way is to do it from the front with the eye or a-arms and then strap down using the front a-arms and the lower shock mounts in the rear. That's how I strap them down when hauling them.

Thanks for the feedback gang.
porschecb
What was your way!!!! Tow hook our what. wacko.gif
Gint
QUOTE (porschecb @ Oct 2 2005, 09:27 PM)
What was your way!!!! Tow hook our what. wacko.gif

Look up two posts...
redshift
Ginty, just get a flatbed.

rolleyes.gif

You'd be better off not wasting the hour(s) waiting.

M
Gint
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 2 2005, 09:37 PM)
Ginty, just get a flatbed.

rolleyes.gif

You'd be better off not wasting the hour(s) waiting.

M

I didn't wait. I was sitting at home yackin with y'all. AAA doesn't take long. I sold my trailer after I got the /6 home because I didn't have the room to store it.
redshift
huh.gif

Genius! So, they towed you to the grocery, then back?

M
rhodyguy
YOU'RE the boss. your way or the highway.

k
Gint
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 2 2005, 09:44 PM)
huh.gif

Genius! So, they towed you to the grocery, then back?

M

Miles, ya kill me. laugh.gif
redshift
I like... no, I LOVE your style.

AAA+++++ 365-100 mile trips per year.

M
rhodyguy
one more that doesn't run(much) and you'll have the 914 trifecta mike. go for it!! WINNER!!

k
redshift
Watch it Kevin, you are touching on off-topic robotica..

M
Gint
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Oct 2 2005, 10:32 PM)
one more that doesn't run(much) and you'll have the 914 trifecta mike. go for it!! WINNER!!

k

Aw... no fair Kevin! The kid and I nursed this car all day up to 13,000 feet and back. We got pretty damn close. I'll have it running again for next weekend!
rhodyguy
make sure you call the same towing company and request the same driver. wink.gif

k
Gint
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2005, 07:26 AM)
make sure you call the same towing company and request the same driver. wink.gif

k

Don't tempt me... That actually sounds like fun. And something I'd do. But then, I know *you* would understand that. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.