Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insulated Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I'm tired of my top reverberating noise like a concert hall..

So, I dug out my old sound insulation for my beetle... clean it off, vacuum it and grab the 3M spray adhesive... I also got a sheet of cloth (polyester??) that's got some 3M super-adhesive backing. It's white but can be colored easily.

I'll see how it sounds in comparison tomorrow on the freeway.

Pics coming soon.
Brando
Step 1:

Acquire tools...
- 3M Spray Trim Adhesive (mmm güd fumes)
- Scissors for cutting insulation
- Large ruler
- Philips Screwdriver

Step 2:

Materials...

- Good condition Targa Top
user posted image

- Insulation of your choice.
user posted image
(I prefer the aluminum backed carpet insulation from JC Whitney).

- Fabric of your choice. I chose adhesive-backed 3M cloth.
user posted image
Brando
Step 3:
Have a beir. beer.gif
user posted image

Step 4:
Assembly, cutting, gluing.

- Measure and cut your insulation to fit into the targa top main section. Don't worry about the small rectangular section near the back/bottom. That covers the targa bar and isn't inside the cab.

Brando
Step 5:
Have another beir beer3.gif
user posted image

...Let the high feeling from the spray adhesive fumes fade away...

Step 6:

Glue your fabric of choice to the insulation. Be sure to fill the gaps from the latches. You can also glue the fabric TO the insulation and make it look perfect, THEN glue the insulation to the top. Either way is fine. My fabric came with an adhesive backing on it already.
Brando
Notes:

This is not a weight-reducing change. If anything it will add 1-2lbs to your targa top. If you remove the vinyl trim pieces though it should make up for that.

Also, your results may vary. This is better than the stock piece of felt that is on the top, though. It should also reduce some of the reverberation in the cab from the engine since the top will ABSORB the vibrations and sound instead of resonating it.
redshift
Neat!

I am going to use 911 pref stuff, and do similar.

M
shaggy
does the sound muffling pad in the engine compartment on the fire wall really do anything?
mine dosent have one and its incredibly loud...i just kinda ignore it
would using your sound dampening process and adding that pad clean up the sound problem?
redshift
Yes, the engine pad stops A TON of mechanical noise, and that firewall, makes a GREAT diaphram.. thump-ping-thump-ping-thump-ping...

M
Hammy
cool.. I was thinking of doing something like this. Customizing it somehow. Hhmmm.. anyone ever used some shag carpet for their headliner ? bravo.gif biggrin.gif
Brando
Another thing a fellow past-914 owner friend of mine did...

He replaced his trunk seals (front and rear), and had no leaks. He then used the same kind of aluminum-back insulation from JC Whitney on the whole trunk areas. He said it dampened alot of the noise of the car and made it sound solid. Bumps in the road didn't make it go CLANK THUNK but "bump thud" very lightly. Once I get fresh seals I'll try the same.

I drove around tonight with just the padding in the targa top... WOW what a difference. Didn't sound like an engine running in a closed bathroom.

Shaggy, your question about the engine padding... YES the firewall padding does make a difference. It absorbs alot of the mechanical noise and high-range noise from the engine. Another thing you can do is take your back-pad off and add about an ¾" or 1" of sound-absorbing padding behind there. It does help somewhat. Dynamat fatmat is the good stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.