Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Sail Panel Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey
Please chime in those of you who have done this. I've been putting this off as long as possible. But it's a 914-6, and the nut holding the left sail panel trim piece is unreachable once the oil tank is in place. So I can't procrastinate any longer. The vinyl has to go on before the trim piece does.

One thing I don't have yet is the upholstered targa piece - the one with the top latches. It won't be back from Just Dashes for another 2 weeks. I hope it can be put on later without problems.

I've printed out Eric Shea's step by step guide and it looks quite good (thanks Eric!). Anybody else want to share their experiences?
Porsche Rescue
While it is probably best to install trim clip with the trim, you do not have to do it that way.
I have removed and installed side rear sail trim many times without removing the clip/nut. You can install the clip and oil tank and slide the trim over the clip at a later time.
SGB
Hes right!. Ya just gotta bend the aluminum aliitle so the edge has a little bend so it will slide under the clip, but be tight when it is pushed on the rest of the way. I kinda turn the clip about 30 to 45 degrees from its alignment parallel with the sail panel and slide it on kinda facing the frot door edge on the opposite side (does that make any saense?). Also, lookout not to scratch the paint on the top edge of the fender. It is not hard to do IF you look away at the wrong time (DON"T ask me how I know mad.gif ).
mikey
Ah, so you can put the clip on first and slide the trim piece on afterwards?

So that means I can procrastinate some more?

StratPlayer
Eric Shea of the board wrote up an excellent article about installing the sail vinyl. Do a search for it and you should find it.
Gint
Classics section

Sail Panel Vinyl Installation, ...Step-by-Step
Tobra
Seems to me you could put a little masking tape on the paint in the area you are working to provide a little protection against faux pas
Porsche Rescue
The factory put a bit of "dum dum" putty on top of the clip to keep it tight on the clip. You can put a bit on the clip and then slide the trim on, back to front.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 3 2005, 04:38 PM)
Seems to me you could put a little masking tape on the paint in the area you are working to provide a little protection against faux pas

or FUBAR!
toolguy
I just did the vinyl on my six restoration this week. . . believe it or not, I found the exact original fabric pattern match as a current convertible top material at a local upholstery store. . . $15 a yard and 60 inches wide. . . enough for 2 sets of trim.

I cut my pieces larger than needed because once you spray the adhesive down and the vinyl touches it, it stays. . so I cut my pieces with about 2 inches on each side. . . once I had them glued in place, it was much easier to trim the edges to fit perfectly than to try a fit a pre-trimmed piece. . . . . . this way, the only point you need to be concerned about placing in perfect alignment is where the side pieces meets the lower molding trim strip. . . that needs to be your starting place for those panels. lay the vinyl in the sun for 5 minutes to soften the vinyl so it will stretch a little. . . get a helper [SWMBO]to pull and stretch the vinyl to keep it tight , . . . . the top is best placed by 2 people pulling from each side and then lowering it on the roll bar. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.