Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stud removal odds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
What are the odds of removing all the exhaust studs from a 1977 Porsche 2.7L six cylinder engine without breaking any? I'm planning on applying heat from a MAP gas torch to the cylinder head area adjacent to the stud. What is the best technique? The threads were given liberal application of PB Blaster penetrating oil 4 days ago.

The engine currently has what appear to be 10 original necked studs and two replacement studs with constant thickness. Bursch headers will be used which thinner flanges than the original heat exchangers.

Thanks

Eddie
lapuwali
3/1 against. I'll be taking bets for the next two hours...

Seriously, it's impossible to know. You might try reusing these studs and just put a washer under the nuts to make up for the thinness.
736conver
Dont screw around with the map gas. Go buy or rent a torch. I just did this about two weeks ago to my 3.2 911 engine. Heated them up and they came right out. There was one where I could just feel the stud twisting so I heated it up again and it came right out.
It was the best $45 I spent.
spare time toys
Hot tip no pun intended. On my 928 heads I had a bunch of stuck studs. When you have the head nice and toasty put paraphin wax where the stud goes into the head. It will wick down in along the threads and they will come right out. I had no trouble with any of mine doing this other than the one that is broken off down in the head. headbang.gif
sixnotfour
Get it running first, Motor is unknown. Get to the track 10-15 burnout.gif
Youll have all winter to change/break the studs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.