Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thinking about an oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
how much will an oil cooler help me?
im running a stock 1.7 now, but id really like to bore it out

how big of an oil cooler should i get?

will it still work if i have an oil bath air filter?

i have an a/c condenser in the front trunk does anyone have any idea if i could just drop that thing and bolt in an oil cooler?

cuz then i think i could still have a full spare and i know thats alot of my front end crash protection

if i could do that could i run the oil lines through the same lines fro the ac? if not can i run 'em under the car instead of through the cabin?
id really like the car to appear stock but not be (i.e. bir bore, possibly brakes, better shocks and id like an oil cooler)
Aaron Cox
are you overheating?

why would it affect you oil breather filter? screwy.gif
if you ran your lines under the car.... and hit something..... there goes your engines lubrication....and then goes your engine.

I suggest learning more about these motors/cars/theories/products...
Flat VW
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 3 2005, 06:29 PM)
I suggest learning more about these motors/cars/theories/products...

I believe that is exactly what he is doing, little by little.

John (Jim's dad)

P.S. The oil in the air cleaner is "un-related" to the oil in the engine.

Keep "pitchin' your questions", you will learn. smash.gif
Aaron Cox
cool.

smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
how much will an oil cooler help me?

Good question and welcome to our little club!

It may not help at all if you don't ever get close to high temps anyway.

I ran my car since January with no issues until i ran a track day last week. It was a pretty mild day in the low 80's and I was pushing 245° oil temps. Think what would have happened on a 100°-105° day ohmy.gif

The cooler will help me now. Target temps between 180°-200° for longevity.

First get a reliable oil temp guage and verify that it is accurate. Are there any situations that cause your motor to get close to 230°-240° for any length of time?

if you approach 240° on a regular basis I'd say look into a cooler. Also verify that your stock under-shroud cooler is clean.

If you don't see over 235° except for rare occasions I'd say no.

KT
Mueller
just so you know, your car already has a built in oil-cooler installed on the engine.....(under the tin near the distributor)

the best route to take fixing up your car for improving it is in my opinion:

good brakes 1st (stock brakes work great for most applications, bigger brakes for most people are just for bragging to your buddies that don't know any better)

get the suspension fine tuned, what good is a bunch of HP if the car handles terrible (shocks, swaybar(s), good/proper alignment...decent brand tires in the correct size mounted on the correct size rims)

as for the engine, just get it running as perfect as you can....don't get hung up too much on the size of the motor or HP rating (or lack of), fix/upgrade the other stuff 1st and then when you have at least a grand, you can start looking at upgrading the engine

yes, the lines can be run on the side of the car under the rocker panels if you are carefull with the routing.

to put a cooler up front, you are looking at about $300 unless you get real luckly...and yes, keep the spare tire up front, it might save your life one day....

dmenche914
If your stock 1.7 or even a 1.7 with a big bore kit is properly tuned, and has resonable compression, and all stock cooling systems in place you will not need any extra oil cooler, even in the desert.

The 914 used the same cooling system on the 1.7 as the larger more powerful 2.0 engine, so don't worrry about extra cooling if you simply go to a big bore kit for the 1.7 (keeping compression resonable for todays gas octane)

extra coolers are generally only needed for folks that race the cars and have high output engine way beyond stock power.

If you do indeed have an overheating probelm, keep in mind that all the engine sheetmetal pieces (and there are lots of them above and below the engine) are critical in keeping the engine cool. Also of great importance is to have all the rubber seals in place in the engine compartment, this prevents the cooling system from sucking in hot air from under the car (the hot air is normally dumped out under the engine by the fan system) also make sure your fan is not filled with leaves, rags and other junk that can block it, reach in and make sure it is clean (with engine OFF)

If you do get a temp gage (recommended) make sure to calibrate it in boiling water so you knwo it is measuring correct.

If you are new to your car, study the repair manual diagrams of the coolig system, and make sure all the parts are in place, make sure also that the clutch is not slipping, nor any of the brakes dragging (jack car up, stomp hard on the brake, then quickly spin the wheels. If the brake drags after you released the brake pedal, then suspect the rubber hoses are clogged and need replacing.

Anyway, good luck,
shaggy
in phoenix 105 in the summer is a cool day!

i have driven it when its 12o out. i havnt noticed any differences excapt the vinal creates this incredible burning feeling even through clothes and my idle seems to drop.

are the stock brakes good?
my dad has 911 brakes on his and complains the mine are better. he feels that his have too much play and are hard to get used to. so is there something i could change to besides 911 or is there some way to make em feel like the stock 914?

for shocks id like to get Koni Yellows what would ya'll suggest for a swaybar?

tires are now michelin pilot xgt v4's 7'' fron and back
mounted on 16'' gas burners

ill have to check those brakes when i fix the clutch on friday
ill check that fan too
thank you for that "with the engine OFF" comment
i do enjoy haveing fingers biggrin.gif

thanks for the help
Trekkor
to put a cooler up front, you are looking at about $300

I wish dry.gif

Cooler $440
-12 Line and fittings $475+
Thermostat $135

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.