Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust on a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
I knew I should have pulled the rockers 3 yrs ago when I bought the car. headbang.gif

I peeked underneath but never noticed this (of course it looked fine before I started prying at it).

There's an article on the site about replacing these but I don't think it says how you are supposed to cut the old one off?? Access looks difficult above the jack post, with the body in the way...
Aaron Cox
air chisel...or with a hammer
mightyohm
welding access looks difficult too, aaaaaron.
blink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Oct 3 2005, 08:57 PM)
welding access looks difficult too, aaaaaron.
blink.gif

not that bad. it WAS spot welded on. i guess plug weld it... drill some holes on the edges of the piece. and plug weld em....

have fun Jeff
AA
bondo
At least you don't have to fix my avatar. smile.gif
Trekkor
Looks pretty minor.
Go for it!

If you need help, host a BBQ... chowtime.gif

KT
rhcb914
That doesn't look too bad at all. Get in there with a cut off wheel and grinder and get all the rust out. Weld in some new sheet metal and it will be as good as new. I just did that over the winter. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

My rust thread

Good luck beer.gif
tat2dphreak
it's not that bad... you can do it! mine on the pass. side is that bad or worse... I cut the whole jack post out to make sure the rust didn't get into the long...
GaroldShaffer
BTDT - not bad at all.
GaroldShaffer
After 1st cut to remove rusted area.
McMark
agree.gif don't cut the whole thing off. Just patch it.
Hammy
uh maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but when you cut the nasty part out, before you weld in the patch, shouldn't you be soaking the inside area with some rust neutralizer or something...
mightyohm
Yeah, for that reason I'd like to cut the jack plate off if possible, so I can put some POR-15 and/or weld-thru primer behind it.
Rand
I don't like to cut off more than necessary... so cutting off the worst and patching sounds ok, but... I wouldn't just patch over it until I knew the rust underneath was dead.

Do you want to use the stock jack point? There seems to be a lot of controversy over that.

I cut mine all the way off so I could expose, cut, scrape, and wire brush all the rust off. It went higher and deeper than I expected (as always). Then I treated with Ospho and painted with Hammerite. Then welded in some good sheet metal and painted again with Hammerite. No more wondering - I know it's solid.
mightyohm
Bringing an old post back - can you remove the whole jack post PLATE with the rear quarter panel in place? There are two issues I can see - #1 are there any spot welds above where the quarter panel hangs down, and #2 if you can drill out all the spot welds can the plate actually be maneuvered around the jack post to remove it? I assume people have done this?
Gint
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Oct 19 2005, 12:03 AM)
Bringing an old post back - can you remove the whole jack post PLATE with the rear quarter panel in place? There are two issues I can see - #1 are there any spot welds above where the quarter panel hangs down, and #2 if you can drill out all the spot welds can the plate actually be maneuvered around the jack post to remove it? I assume people have done this?

I remember this being discusses in detail a year or more ago. I have a vague recollection of someone saying there are no welds at the top. Search will be your frined on this one. There is good info and pics out there.
mightyohm
Thanks Gint, I will check it out, preliminary search did not find the info but I will check again.
mskala
This is the best I could do to remove with the fender still intact.
There would have been no reason for the factory NOT to spot
weld the top.
tdgray
OMG you guys are such pussies... deal with this... and then call me. WOOOSE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.