Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear brake question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
I got a 72 914. The rear brake may not be the original ones, but this is my issue. I have a set of Ferodo brake pads (part # FDB3 DS11) the pads have two holes in the metal plate thru wihich the two retaining pins pass. On my calipers, the two retaining pins are different diameters, the top pin being fat, and the bottom pin being skinny. The old brake pads have two different sized retangular holes, the big hole for the big pin. My new pads, which are 'supposed" to fit my car have the two holes the same size, both small, so I cannot pass the fat retaining pin thru the pad plate.
'
questions: Did the 914 have more than one style rear brake caliper (talking 4 cylinder cars here)? and if so is one of the difference the diameter of the retaining pins (ie did some calipers have two small diameter pins)

Are the pads I have the correct pads, and it is normal to have to open up the one of the holes with a file to make them fit on the rear calipers?

what gives here? I'd like to figure this out before going back to the store to return them, or find that there are the correct ones to use, and simply require a little filing to fit the retaining pins.

thanks
Allan
Are you sure their not front pads?
Mueller
just "open" the hole up....when I bought new front and rear pads from HPH, the pads are identical except the rear ones had been machined to make the hole oblong
Mueller
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 4 2005, 10:45 AM)

front and rear pads are the same, some rear calipers have one larger pin, no big deal, open the hole up.
dmenche914
Hum, good question. I bought these long long time ago, and they have sat on a shelf. Never got arounfd to putting them on. i think I bought both fronts and rears at the same time (from HPH) and installe dthe fronts right away. The fronts were the more expensive Porterfield brand (stop great!!!) I am thinking maybe, just maybe I went for the less expensive pads for the rear, but these were definatly purchased for the rear, even hand written on the box when I bought them "914 rear"

So if you all is correct, front and rear pads are the same except for the hole size.

I see in the old AA catalog as three part numbers listed for four cylinder car pads. there is one style of rear pad, and two styles of front (70-72, and 73-76 year cars)
all have three different part numbers! Augh I am getting even more confused!

Could it be that either the early or late front pads will fit the rears, and that the other will fit, but requires filing to make the hole big enough (I guess what it would comedown to is the difference int he early vs late front caliper, is one of the differences in the two styles of front calipers the diameter of one or both of the retaining pins?

Frankly I thought the big change the newer style front calipers is that it accepted thicker pads, hence more life per front pad. Is this true?

thanks
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 4 2005, 10:46 AM)
just "open" the hole up....when I bought new front and rear pads from HPH, the pads are identical except the rear ones had been machined to make the hole oblong

agree.gif I accidentally got fronts when I ordered the rears and I just put them on a drill press and opened them up. Seems fine.
Dave_Darling
I don't think anyone makes rear 914 brake pads with one hole larger than the other. In fact, I remember having to drill out one hole in the brake pads the first time I replaced them, about fifteen years ago...

Drill 'em out, put 'em on the car, and drive it. driving.gif Stop worrying. smile.gif

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 4 2005, 11:52 AM)
Stop worrying

famous last words ...

j/k agree.gif just drill 'em out ....
smash.gif Andy
davep
Original (ATE manufactured) factory pads have a large square hole for the large pin. All 914 rear calipers (914/4 & 914/6) have different pins top and bottom. The calipers and pins are correct. Early 914/4 front pads are the same size as the late pads except for thickness. The same early 914/4 front pads fit the 911 rear calipers and 914/6 rear calipers. The 914/4 rear calipers take smaller pads, however they are shared with some other applications. Most of these other applications do not require the large hole. Many suppliers expect you to know that the pads they are selling you need to have the holes drilled out. Newbies don't know that, hence your question, and rightly so.
sj914
Along time ago when Automotion was around I ended up buying a ferrodo's, and their catalog actually stated that one of the holes needed to be enlarged for the rear.
redshift
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 4 2005, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 4 2005, 11:52 AM)
Stop worrying

famous last words ...

j/k agree.gif just drill 'em out ....
smash.gif Andy

More famouser: "Hey ya'll! Watch this!"

M
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 4 2005, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 4 2005, 10:45 AM)

front and rear pads are the same, some rear calipers have one larger pin, no big deal, open the hole up.

Front and rear pads are NOT the same. They're different sizes, and the pin spacing is different. What we have here is early 911/912 rear pads, and drilling out the hole is the best and most immediate answer. Needs to be just a little bit larger than the pin diameter. BE SURE you drill the right hole! 2 are at one end, 2 at the other. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.