Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - DIY marine paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Anyone ever respray their own boat?

I'm talking a about a surfski which is basically a long narrow (19' x 18") ocean going kayak.

I want to redo the hull like in the lower photo, all white with a red bow entry.

BTW, that ski was cracked at the bow by a great white off the coast of south africa just last week. The guy was able to get back to shore without being eaten unsure.gif

We just have manatees down here (for the most part), they are big but real slow and kind of cuddly.
URY914
Home Depot sells $.99 can of spray paint.
I figure you'll need about 8 cans. wink.gif

Paul
Brian Mifsud
can't comment on paint, but I "raced" one of those Ocean Going Kayaks one day in my 27' boat on S.F. Bay. His kayak was nearly as long as my boat also, which was amazing. It took 20 HP to keep my boat moving at 6MPH (it weighs 6 tons), and here this guy is paddling with a double blade, pacing me.....

Should be fun, just don't paint it green, the manatees might mistake you for an exceptionally tasty looking head of lettuce....
Qarl
Semper Fi!

That's what I thought this thread was about?

confused24.gif
redshift
Manatee... yum!

Tastes about like bald eagle..

M
Sparky
Forget them both. Go with Interlux, most West Marines stock plenty of it in a variety of colors.

Mike D.
scotty b
QUOTE (Sparky @ Oct 4 2005, 03:34 PM)
Forget them both. Go with Interlux, most West Marines stock plenty of it in a variety of colors.

Mike D.

agree.gif Imron is some NASTY stuff. I painted a car a few years ago with it and had to go inside and take a nap after each coat,no kidding, head started pounding, breath got short, REALLY tired. M y old bosses brother found him outside the paint booth almost passed out after shooting that crap. Looks good but isn't werth the risk. Interlux is quality paint and it wint kill you.
machina
QUOTE (Sparky @ Oct 4 2005, 06:34 PM)

great, thanks guys.

so how do I spray that stuff in my garage?
Katmanken
With the doors closed and no mask...

Seriously, use plenty of ventilation, a mask with fresh filters and no open flames...

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.