Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about 5-lug Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brokenmoped
I am thinking of converting my car to 5-lug and wanted to know exactly what kind of parts I will need. Right now I have Koni Reds front and rear and front and rear sway bars, and I don't really want to change any of that... Is it still possible to go 5-lug? Also, I want to keep my E-brake! And cheaper = better.

Thanks,

Corey
Lou W
Eric Shea's conversion is what I'm using.

Look here, if the link doesn't work, look in the resource section: 5 Lug conversion
sj914
To go 5 lug for the front you have a couple choices.
1: Drill out the rotors and press in studs or screw in studs. (Not a good choice because you'll have to spend more money every time you have to change your rotors.)
2: Change your struts to 911 struts. Make sure you get the hubs also, because the 914 struts spindles are too small for the 911 hubs.

For the rear you can.
1: Have your hubs drilled for 5 lug and just use solid rotors so you keep your stock calipers.
2: Buy early 911 hubs and go through all the hoopla of sorting out what stubs and axles to use.

If your just going for looks and not too much, I would just pick number 1 from both categories.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Lou W @ Oct 4 2005, 08:26 PM)
Eric Shea's conversion is what I'm using.

Look here, if the link doesn't work, look in the resource section: 5 Lug Conversion

With Eric's set up you get to keep your e-brake, his solution is the best way to go IMHO. biggrin.gif
goose2
Yes...eric's the man. He helped me through getting my 5 lug parts and the choices can be very confusing. He's got the knowledge AND the parts.
John
I have a pair of rear hubs for sale in the classified section that Eric did for me.
Dave_Darling
Pelican has a five-lug conversion guide that very briefly outlines several of the options available to you, including the pluses and minuses. It's in the "tech articles" section, and is worth a read.

--DD
brokenmoped
How much does the SC hub/strut assembly usually run? Does this include 911 brakes?
Mueller
QUOTE (brokenmoped @ Oct 5 2005, 12:18 PM)
How much does the SC hub/strut assembly usually run? Does this include 911 brakes?

if lucky...$300 or less....average price I'd say $450 to $500

does it include the brakes?

depends, sometimes yes, sometimes no...if not, the price of the struts should be cheaper since you'll be buying the parts not included (and no, you cannot use your 914 brakes)
brant
I think the details and extra $ is often overlooked when someone is researching this job.

A lot of times, when you go with a 911 strut you realize that you want new shocks... and heck probably new ball joints (another 100+bucks) and heck while your there you just as well put new wheel bearings into that 911 hub since the used ones are 20 years old now.... maybe tie rods, or new pads for those 911 calipers... even new rotors, or rebuilding the calipers....

pretty soon you've got a grand into the conversion and you still need to buy 4 wheels.

I throw this out, because there are a number of details that you can or may not do "while your there"

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.