Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT? getting rid of the smell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I used some silicone (i think) based automotive glue stuff to secure back in my front trunk seals. It smells absolutely HORRIBLE. It's mind piercing. It gives me a headache just remembering how it smells, along with the smell of contact cement. icon8.gif
Now everytime I open the front trunk I get this huge whiff of that damn smell. How do I get rid of it? I used to love the smell of the inside of my 914, the smell of vinyl and gasoline. Now it's ruined.
bd1308
mine REEKS of gasoline......

it's a manly smell....

Hammy
I miss the gasoline. this stuff is so strong I can't even smell the gasoline in the front trunk sad.gif
markb
The silicone smell will go away after a few (?) days. Park the car in the sun with the trunk & windows open & it should help.
Hammy
oh thank god.... pray.gif
Allan
When you do have to keep the trunk closed, throw a few of those scented clothes dryer cloths and a box of opened baking soda in it.
Tobra
Activated charcoal will eat up a lot of stink, can be had for relatively cheap at petstore that sells fish. Put it in a nylon stocking, in an open shoebox in the trunk. Parking it in the sun should do it pretty fast though, aromatic compounds are pretty volatile, should be gone before too long.
dralf
Does the smell, smell like acetic acid (vinegar) ? A lot of the silicone based adhesives use that as an activator, if so then time and temperature will dissipate the odor in short order.

If I recall some people are more sensative to that smell than others. As for me with my German background and the fact that Grandmother made sourkraut, it smells like home.
dmenche914
you are right abuot different sensitivity by different people. Them dryer sented sheets are enough to make me gag and run away, I can't wear clothes that have the dryer sheet sent.

At any rate, leave it open int he heat ot air out, and or close it with pan of fresh baking soda inside to absorb the smell, i doubt very mcuh it is permenatly stinky, give it some time also.

good luck
MattR
Go into your neighbor's yard, kill the cat, and put it in your front trunk. Trust me, soon you'll forget ALL about the silicon smell...
nomore9one4
QUOTE (MattR @ Oct 5 2005, 12:20 PM)
Go into your neighbor's yard, kill the cat, and put it in your front trunk. Trust me, soon you'll forget ALL about the silicon smell...

clap.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (dralf @ Oct 5 2005, 02:07 PM)
As for me with my German background and the fact that Grandmother made sourkraut, it smells like home.

no fair mad.gif you're making me hungry! I love sourkraut!!!!!! esp with kelbasa (sp.).....

smile.gif

yum

b

jsteele22
QUOTE (MattR @ Oct 5 2005, 01:20 PM)

Or, if the silicone smell is really overpoweering a strong gas smell, you could probably fix it w/ one little match. I went to change my fuel filter (front mounted, basically underneath the gas tank) and when I pulled the fuel pump/filter combo out of the little (too little) access hatch, the dry, crumbly hose quickly turned into a sopping wet hose. I replaced it w/ a post-Carter era fuel line hose, and the gas smell has gone down noticeably. Also, replacing fuel lines is good way to overcome your love of that gas smell.

Well, that one stops working shortly after someone pulls the cat out. My favorite way to customize the smell of a car is to pour milk into the carpeting. Amazing how powerful it becomes in just a day or two, and it doesn't go away for a good long time....
jsteele22
oops ! I stuck part of the previous post into the quote box; sorry for the confusion.. MattR only said the first part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.