Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any DFW teeners?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
Just curious if there are any Dallas/Fort Worth owners floating around the forum. I just purchased a 914 a few days ago and wouldn't mind meeting up with some people. I have a lot to learn about this car. wink.gif
MJHanna
There are several talking bout getting together later this Month

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=38466

Thread is in the Garage.
tat2dphreak
welcome aboard... there's lots of us about, actually... several even know some shit... I'm not one of them... biggrin.gif
spare time toys
come up to the Oktobeer fest and get to know us beerchug.gif Im doing the reservation so just let me know if you are in or not. drunk.gif
LowGT
Sounds like a great time.

I just put an offer in on a house out in Wylie today, so we'll see how that goes. If that goes through I might be a little busy the rest of the month, but I'll still need an escape from boxes and moving torture. wink.gif I currently live right next to the ballpark in Arlington.

As far as the car, I'm hoping to get it on the road in a week or so. I just got the headlights working last night, and still need to fix the horn and turn signals to get through out of state inspections. After that it needs carb tuning and vac line replacement to help the idle, but one step at a time. smile.gif

Dan
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif

dude, we'll be neighbors! and Larry is real close too beerchug.gif

I know we'll be neighbors... Wylie is small! very quiet though
MJHanna
What size eng? 2.0?
One carb or two?
jr91472
yes!!!! details and pics please

oh and wavey.gif
LowGT
Here's some pics. They're not very good as the car is dirty and I was squeezing around the garage to get them, but you get the idea. The one headlight was up because I was working on it. smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

As far as the engine goes, I think it's a 1.7 but the car was originally a 2.0. I have a lot of service receipts for the car all the way back to 95. It looks like the the original head got messed up and the crankcase cracked. In all that work the car was listed as a 2.0. Then the guy has a bunch of receipts and service records for having a 1.7 engine rebuilt with a "254" cam, the fuel injection replaced with dual weber 44s and a Mallory disty, but I won't really know until I can find an ID plate on the engine.

The car came with a lot of new parts on it, some new parts not installed including a Monza exhaust, and some jy parts like a tac, door, two engine lids, misc clips, and the car's original a/c and fuel injection system.

We brought it home late Sunday night, so I haven't been able to do anything to it really. I won't be able to get after it until this weekend.

Dan
MJHanna
your right the current eng is not a 2.0 The spark plugs on a 2.0 come in on the side of the tin not the top.
LowGT
Well it looks like I got the house in Wylie. I'll be signing the contract on Sunday and they want to close by the end of the month. cool.gif

Looks like I have 3 weeks to get rid of my MG Midget before I have to trailer it again. Any takers? smile.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (LowGT @ Oct 7 2005, 02:14 AM)
Looks like I have 3 weeks to get rid of my MG Midget before I have to trailer it again. Any takers? smile.gif

Whats the scoop on the MG? Guys at work are looking for small cars all the time. Does it need to be hauled off?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (LowGT @ Oct 7 2005, 02:14 AM)
Well it looks like I got the house in Wylie. I'll be signing the contract on Sunday and they want to close by the end of the month. cool.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

pics? etc...

people up here want small cars too... guys up here have toy-car envy
LowGT
You can see a little bit of it in the Porsche pictures, but I will have it out of the garage Saturday to get some good pictures for the sale.

It's registered as a 64 but it's really a 63 MKII Midget.

1098cc Engine (Engine code 10CC)
Side curtain window model
Original wire wheels
Front disc
Chrome bumpers
Engine turns freely by hand

It's a pretty complete car minus the interior, distributor, windshield, and top frame. It needs the front floor pans replaced, some rust through on front lower fenders and pass side lower quarter panel. Trunk, doors & sills, front wings, and frame sections are all solid. It's a great platform for a restore or even the dreaded "part out". It will have to be hauled off.

I'll get pics of it and the above mentioned areas tomorrow. I'm looking for $500, as that it what I paid for it back in March '05.
LowGT
I put an ad in the classified section.

Here's a link to the pics. http://www.lowgt.com/mg

Pass the word around, I need to sell it soon. smile.gif
zen motorcycle
Almost back in DFW land after 6 years in NY and my 14 is soon to follow. Does anyone know if Istooks Auto/Porsche still in business in FW? I think he was located on W7th around Camp Bowie.
QUOTE(LowGT @ Oct 11 2005, 03:47 AM) *

bd1308
still have the MG?

b
jr91472
I have never heard them mentioned before, but I don't get around the FW area that much.

Do you know what part of DFW you are moving to?

QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ May 30 2006, 09:06 PM) *

Almost back in DFW land after 6 years in NY and my 14 is soon to follow. Does anyone know if Istooks Auto/Porsche still in business in FW? I think he was located on W7th around Camp Bowie.
QUOTE(LowGT @ Oct 11 2005, 03:47 AM) *

zen motorcycle
Back in Carrollton now, not really that important, just an old contact. What are some good resources around here as far as parts and shops?
spare time toys
There is Wess over here in plano just a little east of 75 and north of Geo. Bush. The local guys have tons of parts and willing to help out. I would venture to say we do just as good as the left coast guys only dont post about it as much poke.gif
zen motorcycle
Great! I need all the help I can get mechanically and mentally.
It has been a while since I have turned a wrench so I have way more rust than the car does right now. Looking forward to meeting everybody.

I am in north Carrollton off of GBTW and Marsh.
LowGT
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Jun 18 2006, 11:53 AM) *

Looking forward to meeting everybody.

You just need some beer and charred meat to bring them out from hiding. smile.gif

Dan

LowGT
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 31 2006, 05:36 AM) *

still have the MG?

b

Wow, I totally missed your reply. I don't have the MG anymore, I had to get rid of it before moving into the house.
zen motorcycle
OK, Guys need to do the maintenace and need a parts store. Anyone know of any around the Carrollton Area? Somebody mentioned Wess. Is that a person or Company???

Any other resorces appreciated
TIA

spare time toys
Wess is a guy with a shop in Plano I could drive to his shop but dont know what the address is off the top of my head wacko.gif
ClayPerrine
Wes Hildreth of H & H automotive. He is between Plano Parkway and 15th street on Avenue K. He is behind the Office furniture supply place.

Click to view attachment

Wes has been working on 914s since they were new. He doesn't have a lot of new parts, but he knows how to fix it if it breaks.

For parts, I personally would recommend Zim's in Bedford. I have been buying parts from them for 20 years, and they always seem to come through with what I need.

IPB Image

As for a get together.... Maybe a cookout and tech session at the end of July.

And we are planning the MUSR for October.... Details to follow shortly.
arc914
Hey Low welcome.png
stay in touch on this forum these guys are the shiit.they will help with any Q: you have and parts and so will I.glad to see another teener saved.
andrew in the Soo
zen motorcycle
Thanks guy
Time to dust off the wrenches and see if I remember what a feeler gauge looks like. Probably will be taking it to H&H following 8 hours of valve adjustment.

Lefty loosy right tighty or is it tighty whities huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.