Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting professional help finally...for the car :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Well, I finally decided to take the car to a chassis dynometer shop to fine tune my LINK fuel injection.

After calling a few places I picked a shop that actually sounded interested in helping me*. I called a few shops that wouldn't touch the car 'cause they know nothing about the LINK or worse yet, I found a shop that knows the LINK, yet wouldn't help since the Type IV motor is too unknown to them??? screwy.gif What the???

Anyways, the shop owner, KC asked that I drop off the software so that he can load it on his shop laptop and view/learn the software. He also would prefer that I hang out and learn something while the car is on the dyno.

I have the car running, but I'd like to get it tuned much quicker than at the pace I am doing it by driving up and down my street MDB2.gif

I figured McMark and possibly James M would be interested in hanging out and learning something as well. I'll ask KC how many newbies I can invite smash.gif

*BRG Racing
288 Sally Ride Dr.
Concord, CA 94520
(925) 680-2560
MD-750
lapuwali
Love to, depends on when.
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Oct 5 2005, 11:38 AM)
Love to, depends on when.

It'll be week day, easy for me, maybe not for you since I know not many people want to take a vaction day off for something like this.

The shop owner wants at least a week time frame to learn the software and do some research on it. I am also going to bring him a few dyno charts from stock motors so he gets an idea of what the curves should be.
lapuwali
Just give me a few days notice, and if I can swing it, I'll be there.
SirAndy
ah craps, just the sort of bad timing i need. can you wait until my engine is running again and we do a double-date ???

i'd like to get some dyno time with the carbs before i switch to FI ...
wink.gif Andy
McMark
Did he give you a price? I might be able to swing some Dyno time too. 3 914s in one day? Discount rate, BABY! I'm in either way. I gotta see this.
lapuwali
I may not show up with a 914. I have no lights wired up other than brake lights, and between work and weekend honey-dos, I dunno when I'm going to get some free time to wire it up enough that I'd be happy to drive it to Concord and back. If the dyno guy is going to take a week, then maybe I can get it done this weekend. It would be interesting to dyno this thing, though. Long-stroke Type IV with an unknown bore that's suspected to be 96mm (thus, 2.2L exactly), with IDFs and an unknown cam. I don't even have a tach wired in, so I've not really pushed the car all that hard.

I'll certainly show up to gawk though, if I can, uh, "work from home" that day...
Carrera916
Hey Mike!

If you could say the day and time, I might be interested in going and learn.....

I must have missed your post somewhere...what happened to the Megasquirt project? What made you switch over to LINK?

I'm gonna try surf on the web about LINK and see for myself....but do tell me what's up with the switch as I just got a Megasquirt myself.....sigh!

J
Trekkor
Depending on day, I may want to run mine as well.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 5 2005, 05:15 PM)
Depending on day, I may want to run mine as well.

KT

engine tin may come in handy ph34r.gif
lapuwali
Hm. Sounds like a full-blown Dyno Day is shaping up here...
Trekkor
cardboard and duct tape... ph34r.gif

What do they charge for a few pulls?

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 5 2005, 05:53 PM)
cardboard and duct tape... ph34r.gif

What do they charge for a few pulls?

KT

do it once and do it for real....use the tin luke.... ph34r.gif
Andyrew
You guys are hilarious. what will tin help when the car aint movin? ph34r.gif

Im in for a dyno day... I need dyno tuning.... I was planning on doing one at my local shop (20 mins away.. heck yes)

its roughly 100-150 per hour...
Trekkor
You're not my father....Nooooooo! ph34r.gif

Mike, step in and stop this madness

KT
MattR
andyrew, you've been hanging out with the watercooled guys too long. aircooled engines have a fan, remember? ph34r.gif
McMark
I think he said $110 per hour. But maybe we can book a whole day and get a group rate. confused24.gif Now you've started something Mike.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 5 2005, 06:01 PM)
You guys are hilarious. what will tin help when the car aint movin?

think about what you just said....

ok. non moving car.... heat radiates and stays under the car....with nothing to seperate the hot air under the car, and the intakes for the cooling fan and induction.

with the car moving- the airflow under the car seems to pull the heat away from the fan intake.... or some people believe tin isnt required....
but in traffic or ON A DYNO your hosed
Andyrew
I bet dad would want to dyno his as well (well... maybe... lol, it aint running to good, and we know what it HAS pulled...)

I dont know how much tin he does have, I was assuming he had enough to cover the cylanders, just not around the engine.., btw, what color are you guys choosing? Im doing white... its "showing" ph34r.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 5 2005, 06:49 PM)
I bet dad would want to dyno his as well (well... maybe... lol, it aint running to good, and we know what it HAS pulled...)

[color=]I dont know how much tin he does have, I was assuming he had enough to cover the cylanders, just not around the engine..[/color] ph34r.gif

no tin to keep the hot air under the car from recirculating back into the cooling fan....thus losing cooling effect
Andyrew
ok, I guess its been a while.
bd1308
ph34r.gif
effutuo101
All of the dyno's I have seen have had really big fans for cooling.
McMark
What's up Mister Mike? confused24.gif The peeps wanna know.
Dr. Roger
Geez, I wanna' check yer dyno runs too. =-)
Programmable inj seems like too much fun.
Don't think my electrical thing will be done to join in on the fun but would love to spectate.

Roger
Andyrew
what IS wrong with your electrical?

Just spend 300 on a painless wiring kit, and get it done right....

Well, I keep telling myself that... lol
Mueller
okay, here is a link to BRG Racing with the dyno pricing.

I will ask him Monday about discounts for multiple cars.

BRG Racing
KevinP
Hey Mueller,

What ever happen to the injection project you were working on with the the motorcycle TB's ?

KP cool_shades.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (KevinP @ Oct 8 2005, 07:48 AM)
Hey Mueller,

What ever happen to the injection project you were working on with the the motorcycle TB's ?

KP cool_shades.gif

I have the parts drawn up...I fried a stepper motor controller for my mill last week just when I was getting the hang of the software headbang.gif

Faulty wiring job on my end...$135 down the drain...

I'm also at a crossroads with the CNC controller, it operates from my PC, however I have a few problems I need to address for my PC in the shop:

Current "driver" software is DOS based (running on W95 or W98)

My CAD/CAM software need to be run on W2K or XP and needs to be on a fairly modern machine. So what this means is that I have to have 2 computers and transfer the G-code to the mill, which can be a PITA if I have to edit it.

From what I understand, I cannot run pure DOS on a new W2K or XP machine.

There is "driver" software that'll work with W2K/XP, but it needs to be way faster than my old dual Pent. 300 based machine.

Mueller
okay...Tuesday, Nov. 1st @ 10am, I'll be wringing out my poor little 1.8 out on the Mustang dyno.....should we have a poll on how many ponies the motor makes??

I'm guessing 75 horsepower to the wheels.... burnout.gif
Andyrew
When i tested my 2.0 on my g tech, I told myself, 60 is my mark, if I dont get 60, it aint worth rebuilding...

I got 55 rwhp...

Guess what engine I have now?? lol
Mueller
loaded car up.....time to wring it out in the morning on Tuesday....
McMark
See you tomorrow at the Dyno, Mike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.