Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Venting the six engine..?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
The oil tank has one vent hose connection and the neck has another...The top of the engine case has a hose port and the CIS unit has another. Which one goes to the top of the oil tank? Do I need to buy a "T" or something and send both of them there? I assume the one on the oil filler neck gets sent back to a container in the trunk, right?
Pics any one?

Doug C
ClayPerrine
The port on the top of the engine should connect to the oil tank. The CIS doesn't connect to the oil tank at all.

Cap'n Krusty
The end result depends on what year the motor is. The ;ower one (tank) goes to the top of the case. Earlier cars vent the filler neck to the air filter housing (airbox), and the later cars run it into the "suction hood", after the sensor plate. In either case, that's what you need to do. Venting it to a bottle or to open air has been illegal in the USA since the early 1960s. The Cap'n
DougC
Went by Pepboys yesterday to get some vent hose and everything looked too small, any idea of the sizes I need? I can stop by a hose shop at lunch..

Doug C
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (DougC @ Oct 6 2005, 07:37 AM)
Went by Pepboys yesterday to get some vent hose and everything looked too small, any idea of the sizes I need? I can stop by a hose shop at lunch..

Doug C

I suggest you go by a Porsche specialty shop, 'cause I've never found the right hose anywhere else. They're 25mm, with pretty thick walls, and you need enough to route around whatever's in the way. Depending on the year and the configuration, you may need about 6-7 feet. What engine, and what's it going into? The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
Doug,
Go to Zims. They have the hose on the shelf. You will have to buy 2 pieces of it, and it's NOT cheap. Plus it's too long. Just cut it shorter and it will work great.

DougC
Hey Cap'n , I reread your reply and I understand the connection between the upper engine case and the oil tank. But you suggest a vent hose between the air box and the filler neck of the oil tank, is that right? Only reason that doesn't sound right is because the vent hose connection on the filler faces towards the back of the car, opposite to where the air box is. BTW, 2.7 with CIS and an aftermarket oiltank (Vellios). I guess with enough hose it would route without kinking up though. Wish I could see some pics, need to do a search. Thanks.

Doug C
Porsche Rescue
The nipple on the filler tube exits to the rear because that's what it does on stock 914-6. It then goes to the lower rear of the stock air cleaner assembly which is more or less directly above the vent nipple on the case. Your CIS injection creates an entirely different situation.
Kerrys914
I would also like to see a photo of this as well. I have some weber carbs and nothing connected to the air filter hats.

Don't tell anyone but I am venting it into the engine bay..I am not getting any oil spitting out of it, just a little smoke/vapor

Cheers
Porsche Rescue
If you have K&N filters they will each have a hole on one side of the "hat".
You can run a hose from the oil filler vent to a "T" and then into each filter.
Most don't bother and run the hose to some sort of catch cannister, often a plastic bottle strapped in the trunk or engine compartment. Yesterday I saw a 914-6 conversion with a small K&N filter attached directly to the vent on the fill tube. Venting to the atmosphere does violate emission requirements, however it is commonly done. Oil vapor through the carbs can create problems there.
J P Stein
If you're planning on doing some autocross, do not vent into your intake. I pump as much at 8 oz of oil into my puke can during an AX......tank slosh/windage does it. The can stayed dry during "normal" driving.
Kerrys914
Thanks.. Does the catch can in the trunk stink the trunk up, more then normal smile.gif

If we were in Mexico wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif Can the hose be be routed down to discharge under the car? beerchug.gif
Trekkor
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 7 2005, 03:38 PM)
If you're planning on doing some autocross, do not vent into your intake. I pump as much at 8 oz of oil into my puke can during an AX......tank slosh/windage does it. The can stayed dry during "normal" driving.

agree.gif

I just changed the oil in my motor so it was hard for me to see the oil on the dipstick dry.gif

After my first a/x on fresh oil, it coughed about 1 qt into the catch can in the rear trunk.

I poured that off. After about 2 hours of track driving yesterday it gave up a couple tablespoons. Some of which may have been residual from my pour off. wink.gif

Running all that through my carbs doesn't appeal to me at all...

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.