Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loosening alternator to replace belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Dudes:

Now that I finally got my air injection pump assembly off (what a bitch!), I am trying to loosen the alternator in order to get the new belt on. I thought I was home free!

In a previous post (thanks guys!), I was told there was one bolt to loosen (Allen) and also that there were 2 bolts to loosen (a 13mm and the 6mm Allen), with the 13mm bolt accessible from below.
Which is correct for my '76?

I've loosened the 6mm Allen, but I can't slide the alternator at all. I've sprayed it (the bolt and bracket) with Liquid Wrench to break it loose, but it won't budge.
I also jacked the car up and crawled underneath and cannot find any 13mm bolt to loosen.
Can someone tell me what's going on? If I DO have the 13mm bolt below, were exactly is it? I hope I don't have to remove anything from below to get at it.

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy...
Dave_Darling
I've been able to move my alternator just by loosening that top bolt. I can see how the bottom one might be tight enough not to let you move the alt, though.

I don't remember if you have to remove any stuff to get to the bottom of the alternator. Probably some of the heater ducting stuff, but porbably nothing else. (Only time I messed with that was when I was R&Ring the whole alternator.) The bolt-head is visible from the front side of the motor, down at the bottom of the alt toward the center of the car. But you can't get a wrench on it; it's a carriage-head bolt and has a smooth head. It is kept from turning by the square hole in the front covering tin for the alternator. You loosen the nut that's on the aft end of that bolt; it is on the lower-right (passenger's) corner of the alt.

--DD
McMark
You can get at the bottom bolt without trouble. It's all about knowing where to look. wink.gif
736conver
Andy,

If you need some help let me know. I am on vacation this week. I'm working on my 3.2 but if you need some help give me email/pm/call or whatever.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.