Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front trunk grommets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Mine are hard and brittle, difficult to install or remove.

Is there a chemical or treatment that will soften them up again?

Thanks,

KT
Trekkor
23 views and nothing confused24.gif

Just make up something lol2.gif

I might boil one...with a little olive oil. chowtime.gif

KT
jimtab
happy11.gif OK, this is from left field but why not try that crap that is supposed to be good for the top....since it doesn't seem to do shit to the top, maybe it's secretly a rubber softener.... happy11.gif there....do you feel better now......
DanT
Trekkor,
If you just remove all of them the car will be lighter, right?

Not to mention more air to the cooler! wink.gif
Trekkor
Here's what not to do...

Olive oil in the microwave.
The thing burst into flames headbang.gif

Smells like someone did a burnout in my kitchen burnout.gif

KT
mikey
Can't tell from the picture which grommets you're talking about. confused24.gif

Rubber softens if you rub glycerin on it - $.99 at Walgreens.

lagunero
As Thomas would say "Holy Crapper!" I thought you were kidding about the olive oil!
jonwatts
laugh.gif

My original reply got the following error:
THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUNDYou have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message
Aaron Cox
the TUB grommets? up front? for an oil cooler passage?
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Trekkor
Doh headbang.gif
Idiot headbang.gif
Moron headbang.gif
Goofball headbang.gif
Decadent Zombie vampire.gif
double-a
QUOTE (mikey @ Oct 5 2005, 08:25 PM)
Rubber softens if you rub glycerin on it - $.99 at Walgreens.

what about corn husker's oil? it's pure glycerin i think. my wife used it during college in her vertebrate morphology class to keep her hands from drying out from all the formaldehyde in the little dead kitty specimens. gross, i know, but apparently it works.

~a
bondo
Neatsfoot oil works for leather, maybe it'll work on plastic/rubber? confused24.gif

Don't ask what it's made of or what a "neat" is. barf.gif
Crazyhippy
not very long term, but how about just some heat??

Set them out in the sun (or in the oven) when you go to put them in, and hit them w/ a heat gun on the way out.

Cant be any worse than the microwave clap.gif
Brando
let them soak in some un-used motor oil for a while.

Plastics and rubbers get dry and brittle when the plasticizers in them oxidize and evacuate from the material. When you soak rubber in motor oil it swells and softens. If you soak them in solvent/degreaser expect them to swell and when the solvent evaporates they will again be brittle.
watsonrx13
Get some silicone spray, in an aerosol can, spray them, then let them soak. After soaking, you can also clean them. They were much more pliable when I reinstalled them. This is the same stuff people use when they are installing the rubber seals. I carefully installed mine from the front and used either a popsicle stick or a very small screwdriver to get the lip seated.

maf914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 5 2005, 08:21 PM)
Here's what not to do...

Olive oil in the microwave.
The thing burst into flames headbang.gif

Smells like someone did a burnout in my kitchen burnout.gif

KT

Man, that grommet is screwed. Wouldn't have happened if you had used Extra Virgin Olive Oil! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
boxstr
Try some Vaseline.
CCLINRUBME
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.