Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Trivia ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
did you know that the 237 original /6 that were built in '72 had a main wiring harness that is different from any other 914?

the '72 914/6 had a main wire harness that was based on the '72 914-4 but had special adapters build in to connect to the /6 relayboard.

cool.gif Andy
Bleyseng
had a 914/4 steering column too instead of the 914/6-911 style for some reason.. piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Oct 5 2005, 06:33 PM)
had a 914/4 steering column too instead of the 914/6-911 style for some reason.. piratenanner.gif

yepp, but most people know that, i was trying to add some less know info ...

like the fact that the '72 /6 had a different distributor than the early cars and a center dash vent, like the /4 but unlike earlier /6s ...

cool.gif Andy
Bleyseng
Don't the 72 sixes also have the moveable passenger seat too???
olav

Did you know they were manufactured in the VW plant and not in the Porsche plant unlike the earlier years.
bjorn jacobson
It would be nice to find a schematic of that harness, plug and play for your six conversion?
redshift
ohmy.gif

The unreleased 1978 914 had a potty passenger seat, and a Schittreyenfruesa (shit tray) cover on the passenger long.

M
Gustl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 6 2005, 03:23 AM)
did you know that the 237 original /6 that were built in '72 ...

I always thought there were 260 factory six made in '72 idea.gif

user posted image Gustl
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bjorn jacobson @ Oct 5 2005, 08:31 PM)
It would be nice to find a schematic of that harness, plug and play for your six conversion?

It would not be "plug and play". What they did was use a 4 cylinder chassis in 72, complete with the wiring. They put a six motor mount, oil tank, and other bits to make the six work (Kinda like a factory conversion car). The trick piece was a small adapter harness that adapted the four cylinder wiring harness to the six cylinder relay board. Jon Lowe has (had?) a diagram of that harness.

type47
callling Jon Lowe..... type.gif

... people in need of schematic.....
Dave_Darling
I'm pretty sure Jon does not hang out here. In addition, he was mostly getting out of the 914 game last I heard. sad.gif

If nobody else is already doing it, I can try to ask him for the schematic...

--DD
aircooledboy
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 5 2005, 09:33 PM)
ohmy.gif

The unreleased 1978 914 had a potty passenger seat, and a Schittreyenfruesa (shit tray) cover on the passenger long.

M

laugh.gif w00t.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif
My first good laugh of the day M beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Oct 5 2005, 08:55 PM)
Don't the 72 sixes also have the moveable passenger seat too???

I thought all '72s had movable pass. seat? both of mine have. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Oct 6 2005, 11:09 AM)
I thought all '72s had movable pass. seat? both of mine have. confused24.gif

well, this is a grey area. they were supposed to switch to the '72 style /6 in '71 but they still had quite a few older /6 shells on the shelves. so, supposedly, there are a few '71 /6 that look like the '72 model and a few '72 models that still look like the '71.

and yes, according to TGVWPB, the '72 /6 should have a moveable pass. seat as it was build from a /4 shell,
BUT rumor has it that some where build on spare '71 /4 shells, thus having a fixed pass. seat ...

interesting schtuff, eh?
cool.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
gotcha... since my '72s were 4s they had the movable seats... one was early(jan. 72) the one I have now was made in july, and has the '73 front end and such, but both had the movable seats! and retracting seat-belts
michel richard
What's the relationship between the shell and the movability of the passenger seat ? Is it only the brackets on the floor, and the vertical "comb" on the cross-member ?

I have some of Jon Lowe's wiring diagrams at home, he gave me a bunch when I bought his stash of parts. I'll try to see what I have.

bjorn jacobson
I was just looking through the resources, parts and products section on the site and Perry Kiehl advertises a similar harness. Way cool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.