Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what clutch tranny piece am i missing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
so i was laying under the car today looking for the clutch connection to the tranny.
found it biggrin.gif
i found the pully thing that the clutch cable goes around
then i found where the cable should attach to and its not... sad.gif
so i can see the rod that comes out of the passenger of the tranny and there is a fork on the end and it has a slot cut in it. i can see that there should be some piece of metal the the clutch cable runs through and then there should be a bolt on the end im guessing.

so does anyone know what the missing piece is and where i could pick one up?
i have attached a picture of the fork coming out of the tranny

one more thing that kinda worries me...
when i pull on the lever coming out of the tranny it dosent budge
should it? i made sure it was out of gear first, i dont know if that would make any difference
so...is that normal?

sorry the picture is such low quality its the best i could do.
the rod/fork thing im talking about is pretty much in the center of the frame

user posted image
-shaggy (sorry im logged on as my dad)
736conver
John,

Cover the shipping and I can send you the piece your missing for free. Brand new.
As for your other problems whats the current status of the car. Where you driving it?? Are you in the process of rebuild the clutch etc..
Heres the piece you can have for shipping costs
SirAndy
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Oct 5 2005, 06:23 PM)
so does anyone know what the missing piece is

looks like you are missing the "focus" button on your camera ...

biggrin.gif Andy
dmenche914
The stock piece shown in the other post was made of plastic, and as such sometimes would just fall apart, the aftermarket metal one (maybe it is a 911 one that is metal) is a life long duplicate. The one offered in the photo is the metal one, so get it and never worry again about it falling apart.

Andyrew
one to talk andy.... lol

Mine has yet to fall apart, and im curious.. Who makes those pieces out of metal?

736conver
Its a 911 part
Part#91142320503

hmeeder
John;

I'm not drunk enough to focus on your picture, but it almost seems as if the shift fork may be for rounded bosses as opposed to the triangular bosses on the shift fork trunion that 736 is offering you (sweet deal, by the way. Are 914 people great or what?)

Would these rounded bosses mate well or the triangular ones?

user posted image

The reason I ask is that my car has the rounded ones which I understand was on the 911, so the DPO may have scavenged it off an early 911 (would it fit? I don't know.) Maybe my car is an aberration?

I bought this metal trunion (as mentioned, the plastic ones are crap)

user posted image

Available from Tweeks Metal Clutch Trunion
dmenche914
the shift fork contact point with the little winged "nut" is squared off,so round can work fine, same as the pointed metal one.
Dave_Darling
The 911 part works just fine. The plastic, as mentioned, tends to fall apart... Usually, using the 911 part means you need to put some kind of spacer between the trunnion and the nut on the cable. A 1/2" long piece of tubing should do, maybe even 1/4".

Make sure to double-nut the adjustment. Run one nut on until the adjustment is correct, then run another one on and tighten them against each other. I have found that even Nyloc nuts will work loose on the clutch cable. Perhaps all-metal self-locking nuts would not, but using two regular nuts is easier.

The nuts, BTW, are M7--an unusual size for our cars. If you use M8 nuts, they will apparently thread on, but the first time you press the clutch pedal they will shoot off across the garage and get lost.

--DD
bd1308
I used a 2 or 3 M8s and apparently what I believe to be a rocker bar nut.......works real well

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 5 2005, 07:57 PM)
I used a 2 or 3 M8s and apparently what I believe to be a rocker bar nut.......works real well

outsch ... wacko.gif
bd1308
what now?

actually I just remembered that the thread pitch on the rocker bar nut is something obscure....

so i probably found the right nut anyway.....

shaggy
thank for the help

i need my car to be running sooner than when that part could be shipped sorry thanks tho

im goin to BAP tomorrow with that part number thanks 736conver

so to hold it on should i use m7s or m8s? or should i use those metal self locking ones?

would you suggest using lock tight?

instead of using the spacer could i just run the nuts up higher on the clutch cable(trunnion?)?

or so i have to make myself a spacer?

and after i put it back together ho do i adjust it correctly?
is there any real formula for how to go about that or is it just trial and error?

also i upon removing the carpet around the pedals i notices that my floor board it rather cracked
should i take it out and take it to home depot or something and get a new one made or does it not really matter?

thanks for the help
my car should be up and running again tomorrow hopefully
-jim
bd1308
I wouldn't use locktite.....it would be a huge pain to loosen that nut when you needed to.

I would contact Engman for your pedal board....it's a lifetime replacement, made from aluminum.The usual suspects have the OE board.. You *need* one so that you don't over-extend that clutch and stretch out your clutch cable....

b
shaggy
thank for telling me where to fine one

do you happen to know the price off hand?
bd1308
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 5 2005, 09:45 PM)

do you happen to know the price off hand?

i'm sorry i don't...somebody will chime in though.

Dave_Darling
M7 nuts; use two of them tightened against each other. It's the easiest way to go...

No Loctite; Britt is quite right about why!

You use the spacer because otherwise you get very close to running out of threaded section on the end of the clutch. A couple of oversize nuts can also be used as a spacer.

You adjust the cable so that there is a specified amount of free play--in the upward direction. You need to be able to pull upward on the clutch pedal from "rest" and have it move some specific amount--I forgot what the amount is, but it's listed in Haynes and elsewhere.

--DD
Flat VW
Shaggy (my boy Jim) fixed it (with your help)! smilie_pokal.gif

He went and got the part and fixed it himself!

I did not so much as even "look at it."

Alright Jim! piratenanner.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif

John

P.S. Funny what the "motivation to drive" enables young men to do! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.