Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not so technical how to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
starting point.

k
rhodyguy
remove the screws holding the lower trim piece on the handle and slide it forward to take it off. in addition to the upper screw on the grab handle there is one on the lower front you must also remove to pull the door panel.

k
rhodyguy
i found this method works best so you don't tear the clips out of the fiber board backing.

k
rhodyguy
my door was very clean inside. now would be the time to tidy yours up and treat any rust.

k
rhodyguy
this screw can be a real pain. a squirt with Aerokriol makes the job easier. the retaining nut on the outside too. don't twist the threaded portion off the pot metal!! ohmy.gif

k
rhodyguy
another shot of Aerokriol on the window tilt adjuster. make sure the screw turns easily. no point in taking the panel back off at a later date.

k
rhodyguy
what prompted the whole thing. i was visiting with a friend on tues. the pass side outer door handle didn't work. i thought my buddy was going to tear the thing off. harder is better right? i had a new slider handy. i did a test /closing before putting the handle back on. still didn't work. again with the Aerokriol on the interior mechanisim. when you can push on the forked piece inside the door with your finger and the door opens easily, it's good to go.

k
rhodyguy
i would suggest you use 1mil or thicker plastic for the barrier. painters drops work fine. i found this in a box. i think it was for the jetta. dry.gif . after you get the plastic on, open all the holes for the plastic clips and the 2 grab handle screws. easier than trying to shove the clips through the solid plastic. the adhesive on the
is plastic made it super easy. for plain plastic, i use "Permanent Double Sided Scotch Tape" around the inside of the perimeter where the edges of the plastic are. i wiped the perimeter down with denatured alcohol so it would stick well. trim excess with a utility knife or exactoknife. a RAZOR SHARP NEW BLADE WORKS BEST!

k
rhodyguy
as Paiynes would state assembly is the reverse of disassembly. other items to consider when doing this. a handful of the plastic/rubber cups the clips push into(i think 8 or 9 per side), new outer squeegees(very inexspensive), inner fuzzy strip(pretty cheap), and window end caps(gpr had some sets the last time i called). the cap has a small screw that goes into the verticle window channel. drop it inside the door with the panel on. and you'll be pulling the NEW barrier!! <!-- emo&:o -->IPB Image<!-- endemo --> if i was going to go crazy, I would do the vert chanel guide strips(not so inexspensive), but mine were in good shape.

k
dbledsoe
Great info and photos! Thank you for posting this.
type47
smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
i did a few edits and added a some second thoughts in the appropriate replies. if you have door panels that aren't all warped, this task will help keep them that way.

k
Dave_Darling
Nominate this for "Classic" status!!

--DD
echocanyons
agree.gif
good write-up Kevin
rhodyguy
thank you.

k
redshift
I just used packing popcorn, and liquid nail.

My doors don't work anymore.

M
SirAndy
i'll move this to the classics ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.