Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank venting on a 75
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
Hi All.

I have 2 cars. My driver is a 75 and a restoration project 74 car. My 75 often stinks of gas. I don't think there are any leaks. I never see fuel anywhere only a smell. The 74 I have has a carbon canister and hoses to the engine. These run thru the fenfer well on the driver's side. The 75 has none of this. There are no holes for hoses to run to the engine. The picture shows my expansion tank. The single hose runs out of the tank to vent under the car just below the spare tire.

Mark
914GT
Mark,

I'm not at home right now to look at the cars, but I think both years are pretty much the same. The charcoal vapor recovery canister is next to the expansion tank on the top of the tank - on both the 74 and 76 cars I have. The 76 went to a plastic tank around the fuel filler and the 74 is steel. So your car is missing the vapor recovery canister. Check that all the hoses are attached or open ends vent outside the car. Check the rubber gasket in the filler cap. This is a good spot for fumes to get out.
Bartlett 914
Hi Guy.

Yes my canister is missing. This is how I received the car. What confuses me most is the missing holes for for the hoses to the engine compartment. I know that the PO did a lot of work on the car. It once had an engine fire and a lot of other things were done. But shouldn't there be holes for the hoses in the fender well? If the 75 had these holes then my car couldn't be a 75 ohmy.gif I would like to correct this anyway. Any information is appreciated.

Mark
Oled
75-76 had a small plastic hose that went from the expansion tank to the engine compartment. The charcoal canister is in the engine bay. It is a different shape than the 74 and earlier. the two breather hoses are contained in the engine bay so there is no need for holes in the fender and body or to run the hoses up to a cannister over the gas tank.
double-a
edit: what he said agree.gif

the 75-76 cars had the charcoal canister in the engine bay, stock location was mounted to the side of the battery tray. afaik, the only thing running to the canister from the front is a small diameter plastic hose, less than 1/4 inch diameter. on my car, which is very original, this hose runs alongside the fuel feed & return lines. so i would surmise that it enters the gas tank area in the same location as the fuel lines.

it's been awhile since i've had the tank out, so i might be wrong on some points.

~a
914GT
On both cars I'm fairly sure there are two holes into the wheel well, next to the driver's side front hood hinge. For the V8 conversions I ran a canister vent hose through one of them. Maybe the PO plugged the holes?
914GT
Ed and Aaron are right. Looking at a picture of the 76 there is no vapor canister on top of the gas tank. It's hell getting old.
Cap'n Krusty
Right. That hose goes to the engine compartmant. The evap can is mounted in the engine compartment on the right rear corner of the rear trunk bulkhead. The Cap'n
dmenche914
and my 1970 914 US market (per door sticker) has no vapour system at all!!! it was an early build, I recall the serial number something like 1600 or so, it was built in late 1969. There was no charcoal can, no evidence it was ever ont he gas tank, and no hose nor holes for the hoses anyware on the car, the fitting ont he fan house was even not drilled and fitted Convinced this car never had evap control, I wrote the factory, they claimed in a letter to me that the car was built to US EPA standard (thus it should have had the evap system) However I was told verbally thatearly int he production things were a bit chaotic at the factory, and it could well be that a euro-version car with no evap got stickered as a USA car and shipped.

My early car also had a removable muffler heat sheild (screwed on, not welded) which is different that all the other 914's I have seen.

Bartlett 914
That is very intersting about the European model not having the canister. Maybe mine was imported by someone. I think I have the european tail lamps. The turn signals are yellow. I assume if this ever had a canister in the engine bay, It was destroyed in the fire. I guess I will be needing one. Anyone have one?

Mark
Dave_Darling
Mark--look for an extra very small line that runs through the center tunnel. That's where the charcoal cannister line plugged in.

If your car had an engine fire, it stands to reason that the cannister would have been damaged. Plastic and charcoal don't mix well with fire...

Taillight lenses are a lot easier to swap than evap systems. Chances are that your car is a US version, just with different taillight lenses and a missing charcoal cannister.

Dave M, did you call me at work once? I talked to someone who got my NASA phone number one day; he had an early 1970 914-4 with no evap and no provision for the lines. My bet on that one is that they simply left 'em off at the factory--they got confused about which chassis was going to the US and which was staying in Europe.

--DD
RustyWa
ok, on the plastic 75-76 charcoal canister, one end has two connections and one end has one connection. The end, with one connection, is snapped on.

My question. It's obvious what hose connects up to the expansion tank. But which side is the air inlet and which is the outlet?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.