Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Heaters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
I have a WRX converted teener which means I have no heat in my car! Has anyone tried installing seat heaters in the stock 914 seat? Any advise on this subject is greatly appreciated. I do live in Vegas, so I don't need them to boil me, just keep my butt toasty!

biggrin.gif
double-a
talk to craig at camp914. wink.gif

~a
jsteele22
Have you had a car w/ seat heaters before ? They are nice, but I don't know if I would count them as a substitute for heat (especially for defrost ...). The ones in my Saab go through a cycle (switch on, temp goes up to 96 F, switch off, cool down to some fairly low temp, switch on, etc.) So occasionally you notice a warming sensation, but mainly it just takes the edge off of the chill. Other styles may be different. Partly this is to cause less wear to the heater element, but also to save power. Any form of electric heat is terribly inefficient compared to combustion.
Another issue is that they break a lot. The heater is just a piece of copper wire that zig-zags all over the seat cushion. Every time you get in or out of the car, you flex it. If one tiny spot gets frayed, its resistance goes up, so it dissipates a larger share of the total heat, so it gets hotter, so its resistance goes up, etc., until you have a tiny char spot on your seat cushion and no more heat. On Saabs, anyway, this is a big problem. Repairable, yes, but a bit of a pain. Not to discourage you, but better to have a good idea what you are/aren't getting into.

I'm just starting a Subaru swap on my 914, and I've thought (a tiny bit) about heat. Someone posted a link to an after-market mini heater core (pitched to RVs, boats, etc.) that I think was only around $100. Plus hoses. Don't know if I'll go this route, but having real heat would be a serious luxury. Maybe someone in 914world.com could organize a North Dakota Christmas Classic ?
DougC
I was going to look into these when the time came. http://www.heaterseat.com/products.php

Doug C
jsteele22
DougC,

Nice link, looks like a quality product at a very competitive price. And I learned something new from their FAQ :

There is scientific proof that heat is good for your body.
WRX914
Doug,

Thanks, that product looks like just what I need. I think I will buy the top of the line kit (carbon fiber). I will let you all k now how it works for me.

Keith aktion035.gif
jim_hoyland
If you could post a picture of the "hard" part, that would be cool. I'm looking at the same thing; even ordering from seatheater.com. Anything you can pass along would be very helpful.
siverson
I have and I love them. I got hooked on seat heaters when I first got my Audi (hey, it's gets COLD in San Diego), and it's perfect for the 914. This time of year, and even sometimes during the summer, it's great having the seat heaters on with the top off...

-Steve
Mueller
it seems pretty easy to just install a heater core inside the engine compartment and use the heating ducting that came with the car...this way you'll have a defroster as well........
lotus_65
QUOTE (siverson @ Oct 6 2005, 06:32 PM)
...(hey, it's gets COLD in San Diego)...

oh, for crissakes! has it ever been below 20° in san diego, EVER?

i'm guessin' you wear sandals all year long, right steve!

yup, it's envy all right! biggrin.gif
siverson
No, you DEFINITELY can't wear sandals all year long, at least not if you want to keep the top off. During the winter, I'll wear shoes - and sometime even a long-sleeved shirt! - if I want to take the car out with out the top. Sure, I suppose if you wanted to keep the top on you could just wear sandals. wink.gif

-Steve
siverson

I was curious, and evidentally no, not 20, but it was 25 on 1/7/1913.

-Steve

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/climate/san-san-month.htm

> JANUARY IS USUALLY THE COLDEST MONTH OF THE YEAR IN SAN DIEGO AND
THE ONLY MONTH WHEN TEMPERATURES BELOW THE FREEZING POINT WERE
EXPERIENCED AT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE. ONLY ON 9 DAYS HAS
A READING OF 32 DEGREES OR BELOW BEEN RECORDED SINCE RECORDS
BEGAN IN 1872 WITH THE ABSOLUTE LOW OF 25 DEGREES ON JANUARY 7,
1913. THE AVERAGE MINIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH IS 48.9
DEGREES, THE AVERAGE MAXIMUM 65.9 DEGREES AND THE MEAN 57.4
DEGREES. DAYTIME READINGS OFTEN REACH 70 DEGREES AND
OCCASIONALLY 80 DEGREES AND ON JANUARY 10 IN 1953 ROSE TO A HIGH
OF 88 DEGREES.
BMartin914
So how would one go about installing these in a 914? The price seems pretty reasonable...enough to consider the idea.

I love cruising at night in late fall with the top off and the heat on (in the CO mountains). It's fantastic. biggrin.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (siverson @ Oct 6 2005, 08:35 PM)
I was curious, and evidentally no, not 20, but it was 25 on 1/7/1913.

-Steve

ok, OK! enough already!
at least MY engine will last lots LONGER because I get to MOTHBALL IT for 8 months each YEAR!
headbang.gif
AND i won't need los PONCHOS for any cheap UPHOLSTERY or anything, so i save LOTS there!
headbang.gif headbang.gif
and i hear COASTAL ROADS are OVERRATED.

i think i need my blankie. you can find me in the corner, weeping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.