Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line & Hoses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I'm going to run by the auto parts store on the way home to pick up the fuel line hose. Brad seemed to think it was 7 or 8mm anyone know off hand?
74 1.8...

Thanks
jsteele22

One tiny bit of data : on a 1976 2.0L, the hose from the fuel pump to the fuel filter is (close enuf to) 7/16" .

My advice would be to park your car somewhere outdoors, well ventilated, and spark-free, disconnect the fuel lines and take the pieces with you (in your other car, which I assume everyone has...) Oh, and drain or plug the tank. There was a nice write-up maybe a week or two ago about replacing the main plastic lines down the tunnel w/ metal ones, if those are the ones you're doing. But IMO the highest priority would be to replace everything else. The one I mentioned on my car was crispy, on its way to becoming dust.
bd1308
two sizes..... 8mm AND 10mm for the late filters......

b
lapuwali
Depending on year, some hoses are 7mm, some are 8mm. This is the first I've heard of 10mm, but I don't know the late cars that well. You can get braided metric hose at Pelican. English sizes (close enough) are 7mm = 1/4, 8mm = 5/16, 10mm = 3/8.

VW Bug shops are another source of braided fuel hose, in 7, 7.5 and 8mm sizes.
bd1308
I'm almost positive about the size.....

it's 8mm on one side and 10mm on the other side......

edit: well my mistake...its actually 12mm......

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg3.htm#item12

b
lapuwali
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 6 2005, 01:37 PM)
I'm almost positive about the size.....

it's 8mm on one side and 10mm on the other side......

edit: well my mistake...its actually 12mm......

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg3.htm#item12

b

Those are only for '75 fuel filters. The original question was about a '74. Interesting that they would use 12mm. 7/16" would indeed be as close as you could get to that size. I don't often see fuel hose that big, and I notice that Pelican doesn't stock anything bigger than 8mm...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bmunday @ Oct 6 2005, 12:33 PM)
I'm going to run by the auto parts store on the way home to pick up the fuel line hose. Brad seemed to think it was 7 or 8mm anyone know off hand?
74 1.8...

Thanks

They have different grades of fuel line at your FLAPS. Buy ONLY FI rated hose, something good to 50 PSI ot better. Don't even think about "fuel/vapor" hose. You want 7 or 7.5 mm, NOT 8 mm or 5/16". If you have a late car, you also need a piece of 12mm hose. If you have an early car, there's a 6" long piece of hose that changes from around 10 or 11 mm to 7.5 mm. You should NEVER use a piece that fits the plastic supply line and clamp it down to fit the filter! NEVER!
Dealer item, 914 356 525 00. BTW, the metal fuel filter for a BMW 2002 Tii fits nicely, isn't prone to leaks like the square VW fuel filter, gives adequate filtration, and it's cheaper, too. The Cap'n
BMartin914
Most FLAPS don't carry metric hose (in my experience).
TINCAN914
Well I went to Pepboys, and they didn't have SSSSSHHHHHEEEEEETTTTTT!!!! No real surprise. I wanted it before Saturday, but I guess I need to go to PP.
BMartin914
Brian,

I have found in the past that some of the FLAPS will have "High Pressure Fuel Injection Hose" in pre-cut lengths in boxes on the shelves. I do not know what sizes they carry, and it is quite pricey, but might be another option for you barring an order from PP.
736conver
My local NAPA store has it. $7.00 a foot $$$

TINCAN914
QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 7 2005, 05:28 AM)
My local NAPA store has it. $7.00 a foot $$$

Thanks Brian, can you run over and send it over night? biggrin.gif
I will give them a shot after work. Thanks..
jsteele22
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 6 2005, 06:11 PM)

They have different grades of fuel line at your FLAPS. Buy ONLY FI rated hose, something good to 50 PSI ot better. Don't even think about "fuel/vapor" hose.

I may have done something foolish, but I assumed that the fuel flows from the tank, through the filter, then to the pump and on to the injectors. Assuming this to to be the case, I used plain ole fuel line (not the fuel injection line, which wasn't available in 7/16") to go from the filter to the pump. Is this okay, or did am I driving a time bomb ?
BMartin914
Jeff,

Your '76 has the pump up front meaning you have fuel under pressure between the tank and the injectors.

Also if you used the bulk stuff from Checker or whatever that is not metric it will leak, especially under pressure, at the connections.

I used it on an old Datsun for a short period and it was always dripping unil I decided to get some real stuff and not mess around with Checker bulk line.
rjames
I was able to find all of the right size hoses (in metric) at the local VW store, (Bow-Wow in Seattle). Make sure you replace high pressure FI lines with the same stuff though,
otherwise have a couple of extinguishers at the ready... Hell, have one at the ready anyway.
ClayPerrine
On the 75-76, they used a 12mm line between the fuel filter and the pump. The pump came from another car (I can't remember what) and it had a 12mm inlet. So they made a fuel filter with a 12mm outlet. The inlet on it is the same as the suction fitting on the bottom of the tank (IIRC 8mm).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.