Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank venting; charcoal canister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
I just got done hooking up all my gas lines for my Motronic controlled 3.2. I have my feed lines and my return lines hooked up. What else should I hook up.
I dont have the charcoal canister on right now, nor do I have the expansion tank on. Do I need to hook this stuff up. Should I just vent to the bottom of the car. Dont know what to do and dont want to blow up either.

Who has BTDT or who can suggest reasons either way.

Cap'n Krusty
A: It's illegal.
B: It's dumb.

You'll be smelling gas vapor all the time, and the engine you have is designed to have the vapor system connected and functional. If you can smell the fumes, they can be ignited. The Cap'n
Rand
First... listen to the Cap'n. I do, with all respect.

But.... just because you can smell a fume does not mean it's enough to be ignitable!

You need to vent the tank.

If you are environmentally concerned, run it back to the intake so the fumes get burned.

Otherwise (flame me) vent it far enough that you don't smell it. If you are concerned about being legal... um... well, never mind.

As for the charcoal... bahhh.... chuck it. Charcoal that has been soaking fumes for 30 years is useless. Again, depends on where you are with this.

I have vented my tank with a hose that is long enough to keep the fumes away from my snout. I have chucked my charcoal canister. My car is completely exempt from tests. I'm happy with a simple setup. I'm not concerned with how my little bit of fumage affects the ozone layer. I may be politically incorrect.

So, where are you, exactly... ??
John
What I have done before and will continue to do is to simply leave the expansion tank in place.

Without the expansion tank in place, we would dump raw gas out the tank breather and down onto the ground (and bottom of the car) through the gas tank overflow drain hose. This happens around hard corners and we found that even corner workers could smell gas when we went past.

After reinstalling the expansion tank, no raw gas is dumped, but rather the expansion tank will hold any overflow and return it to the tank. There is no longer any gas smell. You can sometimes hear gas being drawn back into the tank after shutting the car off after a run session.

736conver
and the engine you have is designed to have the vapor system connected and functional

That is what I thought about the system. And its what I read in the Bentley book. Was kind of looking for someone that has done it in a 914. Do I hook it up the same as the 4cyl set up. Will my old charcoal canister work or should I get a replacement of some sort.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.