Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Hanger Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
The two exhaust hanger bolts went MIA a few weeks back.....

I want to take care of this problem while i'm still in an actual city, so what size do i need here?

both metric and ahmerikan please?

b
Mueller
search, it was asked and replied to about 2 weeks ago...

going off memory here ...8mm X 20mm ought to do it....
bd1308
i'll try it, but the search doesn't like me too much.....
bd1308
nothing.....

Cap'n are you on?

anybody?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 6 2005, 02:56 PM)
nothing.....

Cap'n are you on?

anybody?

The studs on the trans are 8mm, by maybe 30 mm and take 2 8mm body washers each. The ones on the muffler/pipe connection are gonna be about 8x30, and take at least one washer large enough to provide a good flat seat for the bolt/nut. DO NOT use plastic type locking nuts! 8mm is the same diameter as 5/16", but the threads are different, and using them is SURE to piss off the next wrench in there ................... The Cap'n
rhodyguy
take one of the other ones off and take to the hardware store? if you can swing it, get new he to muffler gaskets. you going to be right there.

k
bd1308
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Oct 6 2005, 06:26 PM)
take one of the other ones off and take to the hardware store? if you can swing it, get new he to muffler gaskets. you going to be right there.

k

I replaced them all while I was in there last time....

I decided to go full monty with the nuts this time, so I bought locking washers, big washers to provide even contact but the wrench wouldnt fit....

the car is still in bowling green...i'm back in town for the fall break.......

I replaced the gaskets a few months ago, cross-referenced to a geo metro gasket.....

thanks rhodyguy for helping me out.

8x30....i'll be off to the hardware store tomorrow, no nylock nuts....should i just double nut them, or what?

smile.gif

b
Cap'n Krusty
"Lock washers"? THAT'S where you went wrong. NEVER use lock washers on an exhaust. They heat up, relax, and fail. The factory used plain old nuts and flat washers, and so should you. Might get some of the metal "deformed" lock nuts. They'd work OK. Bolt - flat washer -muffler- gasket - header - flat washer - nut. The Cap'n
bd1308
got it......

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.