Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems idleing and reving up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
YksKrad
Hmm... This is jsut something that bugs me and maybe there is a simple solution to all of it. My car has several idleing/reving issues that I'm sure are due to a crappy carb conversion.

Sorry I'll post pictures later

Okay so, when I first turn the car on it idles pretty low... but once it heats up it idles at or slightly above 2000rpm?
The thing is running rich
And taking off I have stuttering, bucking, and stalling problems... The stalling happens at low RPMs under load, so to take off I'm having to rev up and ride the clutch out aways... Wouldn't bother me if I didn't live in a hilly area. I mean I park on a 15-20% slope at night (No parking break all engine compression so I know thats not an issue)

My geusses are something to due with vacum lines, valve timing, ignition timing, and throttle settings... However I know nothing in this area... So a picture of a properly done carb conversion( So I can see vacum line setup, secondly how would I lean out a weber conversion... Not sure of what kind of carb it is I'm told it was a weber conversion, and lastly what kind of prices will I get charged for a valve adjustment? Or if it's simple enough how/where can I learn how to ajust my valves. Same thing for ignition timing price or howto.

My car is a 76 2.0L
shaggy
my car a '72 1.7 injected was running crappy and just got progressivly worse for about 2 weeks

then i took it to my friends house and the timing was off by about 20 degrees and the dwell was off by 12 dergees and the distributer gap was about twice what it should have been...very surprising it still ran...

but we just adjusted the time and dwell and gap and replaced the point and now it runs great
it really wants to revs up and move, still a 1.7 though dry.gif

i dont know if that helps you any but it might be something you wanna check, if you havnt already

hope it works out for you
now i know how much it sucks to have a car thats not running properly but still running...
bd1308
let's put it this way....

it's "time consuming" to get these cars to run perfectly....

but it's REAL hard to kill these cars.....

to answer your question, I would say that your carbs are running ultra rich, and the setup master just bumped the idle to just get the thing to run......I would get them rebuilt and then tuned....get someone to do it if you can't......burning out a clutch isnt worth it....
BMartin914
This sounds a lot like a problem I was having and recently fixed. I do have FI and a pertronix ignitor, but my timing was off by about 5-10 degrees and ran just as you describe.

I adjusted the timing making sure the engine was warm and removing/plugging the vacuum line to the distributor. Timed it to EXACTLY 27' BTDC at 3500 RPM and it runs perfectly now - from idle all the way up through the rev range.

I suspect that this may be your problrm too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.