Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduce myself-and some questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottz0369
Howdy!
I'm new to the 914 world--this seems like a great forum, so I'd thought I'd introduce myself.
My father-in-law just gave us (my wife and I-but my wife isn't nearly as thrilled as I am!) his 914.
It's a 72 1.7. He bought it new in 72 in Long Beach, CA The good stuff is that it's been garaged for the past 33 years here in northern CA (Los Gatos). It's 99% bone-stock and in great shape--the only rust I can find is surface stuff, and the interior looks brand-new. It has 77k on the clock.
The only change ever done to the car was a few years ago--the FI had a small fire so he scrapped the FI system and had it set up with dual Webers (40's if I'm reading the engraving at the base of the carbs right) by a racer-shop up here. Looking at the engine compartment, I can't tell there was a fire there. He was lucky.

Some short-term questions-
I'm getting ready to move to 29 Palms, CA. Anything special I should know about driving this in the high-desert?

It could use tires (it's on its second set ever)-can I stuff 195's on the stock steel wheels without much drama?

It has the stock radio. Will a standard DIN go in easily, or will I have to modify the dash to make it fit?

Longer term questions-
Long term this is my daily driver and I plan on making this my daughters car (she's 8 now). Between now and then I want to set it up for AX and keep it street-legal. I'm planning on getting her into AX (I used to be with my GTI in the '80s--what fun!).
If y'all had to set up a 914 like this for AX and keep it street legal/daily driver, what mods would you make? I'm going to make a wish list, hang it up in the garage, and for the next 8 years, she and I will build "her" car.

Any input appreciated!

Scott in CA
GySgt USMC
Grimstead
Welcome aboard! clap.gif
Before we answer any questions.....Let's see some pictures! biggrin.gif
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
736conver
I dont have help on your questions but congrats on your new ride.

Even cooler your the second owner with basically the full history on the car.

mikelsr
QUOTE (scottz0369 @ Oct 7 2005, 05:43 AM)

It could use tires (it's on its second set ever)-can I stuff 195's on the stock steel wheels without much drama?

It has the stock radio.  Will a standard DIN go in easily, or will I have to modify the dash to make it fit?

Scott,

I can hopefully answer a couple of questions you posed based on info I have read here. On the tires, from what I had read here, yes you can put 195s on it. I have 205s on mine but with a bit wider rim. On the radio, yes a standard DIN will fit.

From one old Air Force vet to a Marine -- Thanks for what you are doing!

Mike
Michael J
Scott,
Let me be one of the first to welcome you. clap.gif This board has a huge wealth of information and the people love to share. You better get some pics and post them because we all need to see a new members ride.

I also have a '72 - 1.7 and for now it is still stock - FI and all. I can't help with the dessert driving question because I live in the rainy Pac NW but you might want to toss out the battery and get an Optima battery. It will eliminate the leaks and rust that causes and extend battery life.

You can get 195's on a 914. Even 205's. Just watch the height of the tire you pick. Increasing tire height is like raising the gear ratio and with the limited HP of the 1.7 you don't want to do anything to reduce the power.

You will get lots of opinions about AXing 914s. It is a great car for that. The '72 did not have anti sway bars and that should be added to your list.

Have fun with this. If you can get your daughter hooked she will love you and the car when you hand over the keys in 8 years.
JoeSharp
Welcome to the Garage Gunny.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
scottb
well looky here, yet ANOTHER scott.....

one day we scotts will rule the 914 world!

welcome, now show us some pics!! beer.gif
TINCAN914
To bad your not in 29 palms now Gunny. Having an engine pull party, lots of guys showing up. Have a cold one fo ya...
Congrats on the car.... Newbie myself..
ninefourteener
Scottz

Welcome to the club!!!! This is by FAR, the greatest resource in gaining valuable info for your 914. Its also a great resource for obtaining parts, etc.

I also own a 72, with a dual Solex, 2.0L.

I run 205s on all 4 corners, with no rubbing.... my suspension is 100% stock, with very few miles since it was replaced. 195s shouldn't be a problem at all.

I also have a "newer" JVC stereo, standard din.... and it fits well. I'm not sure if the 914s came with a standard "3-hole" (2 knobs and a square in the middle) configuring, but if not... it shouldn't be tough to cut, as the dash plate is wood.

While I'm thinking of it... I have to recommend the morphenspectra speaker kick panels...... you can't beat em.

My car is in pretty good shape, exterior and mechanically.... but I still wouldn't recommend using it as a daily driver..... but to each his own I guess. I don't autoX mine either, because I try to avoid the wear and tear...... Its pretty much just a sunny Sunday driver.. and thats the way I like it.

Best of luck to you!! Lets see some pics!!!!

What color is it?? What wheels?? What color interior?? Lets see!!!

--Matt
Bleyseng
Welcome!
Now if you want to set it up for your daughter locate the proper FI bits and pieces and put it back on instead of the carbs. Way easier to jump in and drive trouble free with it plus on a 1.7 about 30mpg.

Dave_Darling
I believe there is a metal plate across the front of the radio opening that is held on with foam-backed double-stick tape. The plate has holes cut in it for whatever radio was installed there. You can remove the plate--the hole behind it is DIN standard shape and size. Either cut the existing plate or get some new basketweave vinyl cut to shape, and glue it on with 3M trim adhesive goo.

For autoXing, a front sway bar should be on your list of modifications. So should a "tuna can" (AKA Weltmeister Oil Trap). The tuna can will help keep the oil supply going when the car is cornering, and the sway bar will help the car to corner better. In addition, go over the car and make sure everything is in good working order. You can run without any mods, but I'd keep an eye on the oil light if you do so. I personally would rather just install a tuna can and forget about it--that falls under the "good working order" for me nowadays. The sway bar is a "go-fast goodie" and can wait...

195s should fit just fine if the wheels you have were originally 914 wheels. Check them for part numbers, or just go look at how much space you have between the tire sidewalls and the inner and outer fenders. Assuming you have 165-width tires, 195s will be about 30mm (1.25"). If you have about 3/4" clearance on each side--or more--you should be OK with 195s.

--DD
greenie
Welcome,

Get out the check book & limber up the fingers ,you'll be using it alot.

I put 205's on on stock wheels with no problems.

Greenie
SirAndy
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Oct 7 2005, 08:52 AM)
Now if you want to set it up for your daughter locate the proper FI bits and pieces and put it back on instead of the carbs. Way easier to jump in and drive trouble free with it plus on a 1.7 about 30mpg.

agree.gif
Brent

Can't he also sell the Webers for a small fortune?
BMartin914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 7 2005, 09:49 AM)

agree.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.