Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the stock trunk rollers w/metal ones.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Okay, after doing this procedure I see that the thread that started it is now locked so here's a slightly different version.

Here's the longer version:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/porsch...replacement.htm

Here's the short version:
Open trunk lid and make sure it stays fully opened:
Air_Cooled_Nut
10mm deep socket with 6" extension will be your tool of choice:
Air_Cooled_Nut
How it looks when done:
Air_Cooled_Nut
Not too helpful? Well, that's why I made a VIDEO of it! biggrin.gif

5Mb...not too big. It's an .avi so Windows Media Player can play it. Pop a kernal of pop corn and enjoy!
Carl
Thanks for the lesson, Toby. Do you have details on the replacement roller? Did you make it yourself? How did you do that and do you have dimensions.

Thanks,
Carl
Air_Cooled_Nut
Here's where you get them:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg5.htm#item26
gregrobbins
Thanks Toby.

Carl, check on eBay. Desert Hybrids is selling them for $19.95 a pair plus shipping.

LINK to NEW ROLLERS
Brando
As for those tortion bars... how do you get the fuckers when they've already snapped back against the body?
Air_Cooled_Nut
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=5&t=39320

Another way:
At the very top left corner of the web site is a "Forum" link you can click. On the next page is a forum titled "Classim Message Threads". You can't post in that forum but it does contain answers to many common issues.
Carl
Thanks for the roller info. One side failed on my car and I sent Pelican an email to ask if they carried replacements but they never responded. I'll check the Desert Hybrids ad.

C
Pugbug
I also need a set of these rollers. The ones from Pelican appear to be bronze. If so they would be a better choice than the aluminum rollers that Desert Hybrids sell.
Can you confirm that they are bronze air_cooled_nut?
Mueller
QUOTE (Pugbug @ Oct 8 2005, 08:42 AM)
I also need a set of these rollers. The ones from Pelican appear to be bronze. If so they would be a better choice than the aluminum rollers that Desert Hybrids sell.
Can you confirm that they are bronze air_cooled_nut?

they are bronze, I have one* that I removed from my car (cannot find the other one, must have launched it smile.gif )

for this application, I'm thinking the alum one fine, it's not like the trunk gets cycled hundreds of times a day.

*free if you want it, just pay for shipping...

Air_Cooled_Nut
...and aluminum can come in different hardnesses.

I dunno what the golden colored rollers are made of. Bronze sounds good to me smile.gif They are a smaller diameter than the stock units, just so you know.
gregrobbins
I am pretty sure the golden ones are brass.
RustyWa
The ones I got from Pelican last December were aluminum.
Brando
I gots a pair of aluminum ones I gotta install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.