Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road trip in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earlierdays
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and don't actually own a 914 but was interested in one that I saw in the classifieds. It's a 1975 with 57k miles on it. I'm interested in taking a round the country road trip from Va down south and eventually out to California... I have time to spread it out, and wouldn't need to cover more than 150 miles a day. I'm wondering if the 914 is a reasonably reliable car for such a long trip. This particular car has low mileage, but it's also 30 years old.... and I know that porsche repair and parts can be expensive, and somewhat hard to find. What do you guys think, is it worth the risk? Or will a car like this most likely break down?

Sean
Porsche Rescue
Go over the car very thoroughly first: alternator belt, fuel lines, wheel bearings, fresh oil/filter, new fuel filter, fresh plugs and distributor parts plus everything else you can think of. Do enough local driving to gain confidence in the car and provide an opportunity for something to break. Carry some basic tools plus a Haynes manual and go for it. Check the spare and make sure the jack will work. I think 300 miles a day would be doable with ease and a great adventure.
bd1308
i've done it a few times.....

it's a very good drive........

driving.gif
effutuo101
Good for you! I think that like everybody says, get some extra parts, Change all fluids and filters, change the points for electonic, make sure everything is tight, and most important, check for excessive rust, and have fun! I have made the run from San Diego to Sante Fe (taking rt 66 as often as possible) to Denver. Then from Denver via RRC to Seattle. The only problem I had was with one of my windsheild wipers. even in a beater like mine, you get a lot of people waiving talking to you at Gas stations.
earlierdays
well thanks for the advice all.. I'll be thinking about that. It's either this or a 1997 BMW z3 for about 4k more.... think I may just end up going with the bimmer cause it's newer, and it's at such a good price. They are still fun, though I like the look of a 914 better.

bd1308
look at it this way.....

you could ALways get a Z3.....

pretty soon, 914s are gonna get more rare and more rare, until they become the next 356.....

messix
how good are you with tools and cars? are you a gear head? and can you trouble shoot any problem on the side of the road?
if your not any of these, then get AAA and get a new credit card with a high limit. t
these old cars will pop up with little problems now and then. and every once in awhile something big happens [electric fire, shorts, cv failures]. these are all things that have been posted here in the last month that have happened to people.

i would do it in a heart beat, and take lots of tools.
Gint
I've driven a 914 (two different ones actually) over 500 miles, 700 miles and once 1200 miles straight through. If properly maintained and all the rotten rubber replaced, there is a very good chance of making that sort of trip without incident. I found the worst part of road tripping in a 914 was the noise (wind noise from the 2x75 AC mostly). Aside from that it was a very comfortable cruiser.
rhodyguy
from tacoma to california twice with mine. to portland and back is a pretty routine cruise. probably more creature comforts in the bmw. i think more "wow" factor in the 914. a couple of minor issues. none that put me off driving long distance again. sounds like you can afford a pretty well sorted 914. atleast it should hold it's value.

k
Flat VW
We road trip em' often. wub.gif

The trick is to make ROUND TRIPS! driving.gif

My wife and I find a "even just a few minutes" stretch break piratenanner.gif about every two hours or so seems to work well.

John

P.S. One of the reasons the teeners really road trip quite well I believe, is the extensive "cargo space" a well packed one provides. smash.gif

Andyrew
Keep plenty of fuses(changed one fuse 2 times in one intesection, rolled to a stop, and fixed the wiring...) , some wires, and conectors and crimpers as well as all the above. I've had my wiring crap out on me before, and its a pain to have someone come and help with tools..
ClayPerrine
Scott went from Baltimore to California for the West coast classic.

Yoder and Milo went from Texas all the way to Seattle via Los Angeles and back via Illinois.

It can and has been done. No reason not to provided you make sure the car is solid first.

Buy the car, get a copy of the 914club emergency contact list, and go driving.gif .

Everyone here will be glad to come running if you have a problem.

If you get to the Dallas/Fort Worth area, come visit!!!
GWN7
Vancouver to home, 1900 miles... starter went......car is so small I push started it till I found a FLAPS who had one (or park it on a hill).

Portland to home, 2200 miles slightly more problems, but was able to get it fixed (with club members help) in a couple days.

Always remember its a 30+ yr old car and unless you have compleatly rebuilt it from ground up, your going to have something go wrong and plan your trip accordingly.

As stated before.... go over the car before starting out on any trip. Check everything you can. Take spare parts (fuses, clutch/throttle cables, points, ect) with you so you don't have to try and find them in the middle of nowhere. Basic tools and a CV bolt tool.

Most important to bring is a roll of ducktape, paper towels and matches.

The duck tape can be used to spell out "call tow truck" on a open lid/hood.

If worst comes to worst, open the front hood, unscrew the gas cap, insert the paper towels and use the matches. Car should burn for about 2-3 hrs ...keeping you warm enough till help arrives.

If traveling in warm climates disreguard the above part of the post and add bottled water and a hat to the list. wink.gif
messix
Red Green can fix anything with enough duct tape.
Elliot_Cannon
Scott Klein once drove the Chalon all the way around the block. I know this to be true because I was in it at the time. It was a comfortable if somewhat short trip and the acceleration was awesome! laugh.gif

Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.