Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb fuel pump....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
tell me what you know about them, how often they fail, what to recommend.....

I have a facet pump in the pink whatever car.....

facet is the type of pump, correct?

b
SirAndy
i got a rotary pump from CB performance and it's (IMHO) much, much better than the noisy POS facett pumps ...

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

wink.gif Andy
Mueller
that is a brand...

basicly you need a pump that'll give you the lower PSI feed that carbs need and you need one with enough volume to feed it at WOT, with our tiny motors, pretty much any automotive carb fuel pump will work...it's once you get into 500hp V8's do you need to worry about volume

i'd be leary of used junkyard pumps since you don't know the history of them.....not too much to go wrong with them and some you should be able to open up and inspect and repair
ArtechnikA
i used a Facet (a brand name) pump in my carb conversion car. the first leaked, out of the box. the second was fine; it outlived the rest of the car. i had one in a VW-powered 356 that failed, but it had been mounted to the fan shroud and i think the heat and vibration killed it.

if mounted in a place and in such a way that the vibration/rattle can't be heard, or it doesn't bother you, they can be fine. i think they're not good at sucking and need a good solid hydraulic head (mounted close to and lower than the tank).

since they act as a check valve against reverse flow, that can be an advantage if plumbed as part of a multiple-pickup (i.e. race car) setup.

i have a Mallory for my current carb comversion (6) project.
Cap'n Krusty
Any pump you use, be it a Facet (Bendix), or a Pierberg, or some other brand, should be mounted below the level of the bottom of the fuel tank, and as close to the tank as is practical. The Cap'n
bd1308
i'll be able to be 100% sure on sunday, but I am pretty sure that underneath that 12mm bolted protection plate where the master cylinder lives, I will expect to see a honda carb fuel pump and a fuel filter.....what i do know is that the pump is not at the stock location (didnt expect it to be)....

b
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 8 2005, 10:53 AM)
i'll be able to be 100% sure on sunday, but I am pretty sure that underneath that 12mm bolted protection plate where the master cylinder lives, I will expect to see a honda carb fuel pump and a fuel filter.....what i do know is that the pump is not at the stock location (didnt expect it to be)....

b

honda, jeep, kia or whatever, as long as it's for carbs, it should work....
bd1308
yeah but its used and i DO NOT trust the auto-motion guy......at least not any more.

b
Mueller
I'm betting it's as simple as a bent/kinked fuel hose..happened to me a few months ago with my FI...
lapuwali
Facet and Purolator are the same pump. I've used them for years on a variety of cars, and while they are noisy (esp. if solidly mounted), I've never had one fail. They may be a POS, but they're a working POS, and they're cheap and readily available.
Trekkor
I like my Holley Red and the Holley single inlet, dual outlet fuel pressure regulator set to 3.5 PSI.

KT
bd1308
yeah...i am really hoping for a kinked hose........like i'm really really hoping its either a filter or a hose.....

still havent dropped the tank...it's amazing to see how many friends will make up things to do when you really need them......

b

Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 8 2005, 07:34 PM)
yeah...i am really hoping for a kinked hose........like i'm really really hoping its either a filter or a hose.....

still havent dropped the tank...it's amazing to see how many friends will make up things to do when you really need them......

b

removing the tank can be a one person job, a pair of vice-grips help to make good handles......
Brando
After being drained and unclamped, the gas tank can be easily removed (weighs less than 15lbs) with the hood off smile.gif
Andyrew
I have to back up the faccet fuel pump as well.. It worked like a charm on my 2.0 carbs, and it fed my 5.7 v8 perfect... Same pump, no difference....

Andrew
bd1308
i kinda like the hypnotic click anyway....

click click click
Aaron Cox
i have a facet... up front....in the front trunk bulkhead. ON rubber isolators... pretty hard to hear it over idle..... do not solid mount them LOL

as krusty said... keep em BELOW the fuel tank height so they gravity feed the pump.. and run a filter BEFORE the pump.... and before your FI/Carbs

BTW - facets are better 'pusher' pumps than 'sucker' pumps... so they work great upfront.
bd1308
If I can locate some grommets the right size, I would like to mount the pump near the spare tire...... like far down but still accessable to see whats going on...I even would liek to put a pressure guage to see whats going on as well.......

b
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 9 2005, 03:29 PM)
If I can locate some grommets the right size, I would like to mount the pump near the spare tire...... like far down but still accessable to see whats going on...I even would liek to put a pressure guage to see whats going on as well.......

b

for some cheap and free isolators/gromments, just cut a 1/4" to 3/8" section of the fuel line off and use that....

dbledsoe
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 8 2005, 11:44 AM)
i got a rotary pump from CB performance and it's (IMHO) much, much better than the noisy POS facett pumps ...

wink.gif Andy

I'll second Andy's recommendation for the CB Performance rotary pump. I bought the 3 1/2 psi model. Fits in the stock location nicely on my 75 914, is reasonably quite, and includes an in-line filter on the pump inlet side (I run two filters, one on the inlet side of the pump and one up near the carb).
nebreitling
QUOTE (dbledsoe @ Oct 9 2005, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 8 2005, 11:44 AM)

wink.gif  Andy

I'll second Andy's recommendation for the CB Performance rotary pump. I bought the 3 1/2 psi model. Fits in the stock location nicely on my 75 914, is reasonably quite, and includes an in-line filter on the pump inlet side (I run two filters, one on the inlet side of the pump and one up near the carb).

agree.gif

that makes three.

removal of gas tank is a one person job, no need to remove hood, takes about 15 minutes after it is drained. if you can't purge/drain the tank using the fuel pump running an open line, then it can get messy and a PITA. sorry ...
rhodyguy
nate if you're refering to the metal canister on the inlet side, it's not a filter. it's the fp regulator. the cb unit is a swell pump, very quiet. using andy's power proceedure (in the classics) is a beautiful thing.

k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.