Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Fans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Any ideas? Just sharing what I found. I'm sure there are others who have had a similar experience. I'm sure there are some who's fans don't work right now for just this reason. wink.gif
redshift
Just call it "Fall Fantastic!".

M
914GT
For best mulching performance, turn it on before putting in leaves and other lawn waste. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
that's why there used to be a mesh behind the cowl inlet.
most car are missing that part by now ...

wink.gif Andy
goose2
there used to be a mesh behind the cowl inlet.

....now there's a mesh in the fan cool.gif
mightyohm
Early cars (pre 73 I think) did not have that cowl grille. I know because I added it to my car, and I had to even buy a new rubber gasket for where the fresh air box hits the cowl because the grille won't even fit into the early style gasket.
McMark
agree.gif PET shows the screen as a 73 on part. tongue.gif
dmenche914
the stock later screen ain't enough to stop small bugs and pine needles from getting in a clogging the fan, so add some aluminum window screen above the air box, with or without the stock later screen. Early motors have a felt pad to hold oil on the bearings, so lube that when you have it apart.

there is also at least two styles of fan, a fan with a die cast fan frame, and one with a black plastic frame (The frame is the part that the housing halves clamp together on)

Also when you rebuild the fan, get some 3/16 inch thick neoprene foam rubber and re-gasket the two butterfly valves on the air box. this will greatly enhance ventilation and defroast performance over the deteriorated rubber seals that are more than likely there. Just undo the bolt/nut holding the butterfly together, and cut some foam rubber about 3/8 inch bigger than the metal butterfly valve, this will seal nice and tight again.

besure to treat and paint any bare rusty spots on your gas tank bottom before that goes back in.

since all else is apart, time to lube the wiper shafts, and make sure the shaft seals are not leaking.

lot of fun ain't these old beasts!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.