Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joining the 914 (Jack stand) Club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjkavanagh
Was driving home Wednesday and got about a mile from my house and had the GEN light and ERG light come on, figured I threw a belt. Got to look at it yesterday and it seems the fan bolts have worked their way loose and the fan has come off the front of the motor. Unknown damage at this point, there was never any banging or ratteling so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Looks like 4 days off at Thanksgiving are now booked.
MecGen
Hey
You know its not the first time I hear of the dang thing coming loose...usualy takes a fan because its aliminum.
What size of motor ? If its a 2.0l your screwed...well harder to find a fan.
Hate to say it but if its just this you got off easy...mine started with a valve adjust, 4 years and 20K later it was back on the road. but I didn't have this place then.
Welcome aboard and keep us informed.Lots of spare parts here if you ask,

Later

beerchug.gif
brant
I think all fans are the same: 2.0/1.8/1.7/vw bus....
only the timing marks are different.

I've heard of it before.
in fact a local (colorado) guy had it happen in the last couple of weeks.
He was repairing it yesterday and found one of the screw threads stripped, or pins missing or something.... he had to pull the fan mounting hub off and put a new(used) one on.

I think he half dropped his motor to get acess to it all.

brant
Allan
Gilbert914 in merry olde England just went through this exact thing. If you do a search you will more than likely find some good info...
rjkavanagh
Thanks guys, I'll hunt around on the site and see what I can find.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.