Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fried Mallory Unilite Ignition Module...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Car drove great yesterday. 80 miles round trip to brians engine party...., ran like a top. front oil cooler works great....rennshift is superb....

Hop in car today. Click the start....lights right up... handbrake is on. i NOTICE my handbrake warning light is spazzing... (on off realllll fast)
i figure a dying relay (like turn signal relays fail...) pull out after car is warmed up....

drive down the street in 1st.... waaaaa oooooommmmmmm and decel to a stop. 1000 ft downhill from my house. I say wtf.
pop engine lid.... and behold... POSITIVE battery terminal is off. Key is off... hook it back up.

go to start car... and it cranks, and everything else works fine...

Hyfirebox Diagnostic LED works... so the CDI is fine. blinks 3x when it sees switched + (ignition to ON)
and is supposed to blink when motor is cranking (see's trigger from unilite and senses starter load)

behold... no trigger signal from unilite. oh joy.
checked all wires... used VOM meter to exhaust all possibilites....

NO SIGNAL FROM GREEN TRIGGER WIRE ON UNILITE>>>>

oh boy..... lets see how much one of these cost.....
i think herr mueller fried one also....

headbang.gif

just wanted to drive my f-in car to the store.....

sad.gif im ready to say F U to the car......
Mueller
bummer.....

mine fried due to bad wiring on my part....

$70 or so from Summit Racing for a new one.

Do you have the "spike" protector on yours that I mentioned a while back??

Don't throw the modual away, it can be repaired.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 9 2005, 02:24 PM)
bummer.....

mine fried due to bad wiring on my part....

$70 or so from Summit Racing for a new one.

Do you have the "spike" protector on yours that I mentioned a while back??

Don't throw the modual away, it can be repaired.

no active power filter.....

Repaired?
century wants 90 for a new one....

fried a transistor?
Voltage always stays below 3.0 Volts. This means that the module has been spiked by high voltage or amperage, the lack of a ballast resistor, or it was improperly wired

mine never saw above 3V...

Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 9 2005, 02:18 PM)
sad.gif im ready to say F U to the car......

Say it!!!

But get it fixed...

Bummer. sad.gif
DrifterJay
if it makes you feel better, a tree fell on my car a couple of weeks ago.... dry.gif
Aaron Cox
what IRKS me is that i *JUST* got the intermittant misfire sorted (
hyfire works with any coil
BS!! i had to buy a mallory super low impedance coil to make it work)

and it ran like a raped ape yesterday....

and today.. back to square one....
MecGen
Hey Aaron

Unfortunatly your car did spike past 12+ volts. When a battery cable get loose, the voltage will spike very high, very fast. How much of that spikes gets back to the module depaends on, where and how it is hooked to the power supply. I have seen many old timer mechanics checking a charging system, disconnecting the battery when the car is running. This is playing Russian Rollette, with the chips in a modern day alternator.
I imagine thats what happened if I understand that the cable popped off on the road, a capacitor will help.
90$ could be worse, you would figure that we would eventually get used to it.....goota love em

Any ways, heres some positive Karma your way
Later

beerchug.gif
bondo
Be glad that thing broke and stopped your engine before your alternator diodes fried... Which is easier to change? smile.gif
Aaron Cox
ive been getting deal after deal lately..... so maybe this is karma laugh.gif

Miles said he ordered a hit on the module quote
"He knew too much, and wasnt benefiacl to keep around"

Mike - how do you repair them?
MecGen - a capacitor inline to the switched power to the CDI box/Dizzy?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 9 2005, 03:13 PM)
Be glad that thing broke and stopped your engine before your alternator diodes fried... Which is easier to change? smile.gif

whats more expensive to change... rolleyes.gif
Mueller
after much reading, I am leaning towards replacing mine with a VR type instead of IR/LED

you have to figure out what fried...it's about $5 worth of parts inside if you replaced everything..don't you have some geeky electrical engineering buddies down there (Bondo???) biggrin.gif welder.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 9 2005, 04:03 PM)
after much reading, I am leaning towards replacing mine with a VR type instead of IR/LED

you have to figure out what fried...it's about $5 worth of parts inside if you replaced everything..don't you have some geeky electrical engineering buddies down there (Bondo???) biggrin.gif welder.gif

or my dad... masters in electrical engineering...
Aaron Cox
new one on ebay...cheaper than everywhere else....

94 bucks later... how much lighter is my wallet? how much faster am i now....

ill fix the old one incase i fry this one too.... w00t.gif
nebreitling
that fuching sucks dood. sad.gif
Jake Raby
If it would have came from me I would pay for the replacement module.... boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 9 2005, 08:03 PM)
If it would have came from me I would pay for the replacement module.... boldblue.gif

really? stupid car owner mistakes are covered?

you got my business....

ill be ordering some decked 1.7 rockers and swivel feet from ya.... and pushrods i guess too ...
soon Jake...
Elliot_Cannon
Man, I would really be pissed at the moron who didn't tighten the battery terminal!! Point him out and I'll kick his ass for ya. laugh.gif

Elliot
rhodyguy
your mechanic stinks arron. ohmy.gif

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Oct 9 2005, 10:00 PM)
Man, I would really be pissed at the moron who didn't tighten the battery terminal!! Point him out and I'll kick his ass for ya. laugh.gif

Elliot

that would be me.... dont get a hernia while throwing fists...

your mechanic stinks arron.

yup.... as the led zep song goes "Nobody's falt but mine..."
Tom Perso
Don't worry - I did the same thing to my Unilite. It's a mistake you only make once... smile.gif

ar15.gif

Tom
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Oct 10 2005, 08:05 AM)
Don't worry - I did the same thing to my Unilite. It's a mistake you only make once... smile.gif

ar15.gif

Tom

cheap lesson at under 100 bucks slap.gif

couldve been worse.... lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.