Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tampa Bay Autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
Well it was just Paul & myself, but there were only 20 cars there. The airport we use is like driving on a dirt road. I guess all those years when we had one of the best A/X sites anywhere (MacDill AFB) makes me want a real facility. Anyway we had fun, I think Paul was 2nd overall (fantastic considering the Raby wasn't turning over at 5pm Saturday) and I think I was 5th

T.C.

Team 914
carr914
pic 2
carr914
Pauls last run
carr914
Paul just past the finish line. Paul thanks for bringing my wheels. I wish the tires would have helped.

T.C.
URY914
Yes, we were the few, the proud, the 914's!!! smilie_pokal.gif

At least no Boxsters beat us!

Here is another one of TC's sweet 914-6,

URY914
And one of mine. The body is VERY rough right now. Panels need adjusting and of course a paint job.

URY914
The course layout was a down and back taxiway at an old airport. The first half of the course is on a surface that is so soft a cloud of dust follows the cars down to the 360 turn around. After the turn around it is sealed and has some grip.

We each got five runs. I spun twice, both times in the soft stuff.

As TC said above, I just got it running yesterday around 5 pm. I hung the body on it and loaded it on the trailer. Didn't check air pressures, didn't adjust the clutch, nothing.

Once I got it warmed up it wouldn't idle and would fart back thru the carbs. So I need to do some adjustments there. But that SOB would haul ass. I had a hard time getting off of the line 'cause it would just sit there and spin the tires in the soft stuff. Than the tires would break loose in the shift into 2nd. It also has a lighten flywheel and the clutch wasn't adjusted the way I like it so my shifts were all screwed up.

Once it got hooked up on the sealed side of the course, it would come alive. It really would pull you back in the seat.

Next month we're running at another airport but this one is concrete and is super grippy. I think I'm going to need tires soon...
Jake Raby
Paul, That baby has 50% MORE torque than your old engine- so you'll really have to learn a few new moves! I'm gonna ring you, was out all weekend playing in the Pinz..
URY914
Jake,

Trying to adjust my driving to twice the torque, nearly twice the HP, a lightweight flywheel, clutch not adjusted right, and a shitty race surface made things fun.

I'll call you and we can talk about some baseline jet settings.

BTW, I don't feel too bad. The guy that beat me has been SCCA Solo champ about 5 times, PCA Parade class champ countless times and he is one of the test drivers for Grassroots Motorsports mag when they test a/x tires. But I think I got him scared, he was checking his tire pressures between runs. happy11.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.