Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It Got Ugly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
....besides the 914s there. laugh.gif

An Evo driver with a lot more car than talent managed to get into the wall (Jersey Barrier)backwards. No big deal except a course worker was in his path. Fortunately, the guy didn't get smushed between barrier & car....I didn't see the choas, just the immediate aftermath. The car was still moving along the barrier as I got eyeballs on it. Apparently the worker tried to bail over the wall & got clipped....seriously clipped. His lights were out & one foot was over the wall... still attached but just kinda sticking up in the air. The medics said it looked worse than it was......tell it to the guy that got hit. He's in the hospital.....not that he'll remember most of today. sad.gif

Be careful out there kiddies.
Aaron Cox
i hid behind a 4' diameter concrete light post boss last time i conerworked
J P Stein
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 9 2005, 03:12 PM)
i hid behind a 4' diameter concrete light post boss last time i conerworked

A man has got to have a plan laugh.gif
brant
scarrrrrryyy..

everyone be safe

brant
Allan
Jeez, and here I am volunteering at Buttonwillow...
Bruce Allert
and you wonder why we're told "do not sit down while working out there & PAY ATTENTION"!

Hope he's OK driving.gif

......b
Air_Cooled_Nut
I was in the Spotter postion and saw it happen. The Evo hit the barrier hard enough to deploy the front air bags and push two of the concrete barriers back about an inch -- it was a noticable gap. The car spun 180ยบ and its right rear fender was up on the barrier, rear end completely off the ground. The car looked like a total to me or else a very expensive repair. The driver was shaken but okay otherwise. The worker basically landed upside-down, resting on his head and shoulder and the rest of his body vertically on the barrier. He was driving an RX-8 and making respectable times.

But on a happier note, I got to ride passenger in Trevor's 914/6 and J.P.'s !! biggrin.gif Damn, talk about a fun ride! It was like riding on a horizontal roller coaster laugh.gif Frickin' blast and a great end to the season -- I'm soooo glad I did it.
nebreitling
that is awful. glad to hear that it wasn't any more serious.
john rogers
Many people think parking lot or stadium events are completely safe? Since I've been with the Porsche club in San Diego, at the "Q" I have seen a Boxster get destroyed backing into a tree, a 914 hit a hot coals concrete container, a 914 hit the armco spinning in someone elses oil, a 928 hit a trolley overpass support (that coulda been really expensive), a turbo get the front end compressed and a very fast 914 nearly take out a full row of cars when the brake line off the master cylinder ruptured. Personally I feel much safer on a track such as Willow Springs or CA Speedway, guess I'm getting old?!
GaroldShaffer
Hope the worker will be ok.

Was this a PCA or SCCA event? As a Solo safety steward for my SCCA region I am wondering about the course setup. I am always concerned that there is enough run off room at a end of solom before a turn, min of 75 feet from edge of course to where any spectators would be, and that there is plenty of OPEN runoff area AFTER the timing lights. I have seen a few cars go through the lights and hit the brakes hard only to spin (wiggle) because they couldn't stop before they would be in area with other cars. You can bet that 99% of our events you will have a jog somewhere before the end lights to slow you down before you get to the finish.
J P Stein
This was an SCCA event.
They had their 50 foot minimum margin to obstructions.
Workers are not considered spectators and gotta be on their toes. The guy left 60+ feet of skid marks to get where he was going. He lost it in an area where he should have been going pretty much straight & about 50ish MPH....something may have broke...it wasn't a 30 year old Porsche after all but a new Messabitchi biggrin.gif
Rough_Rider
Wasn't originally going to post about this topic, a handfull of the 914 P-Car community was there i'm really glad no-one we know was injured. Although that in no way diminishes my feelings towards the driver & the course workers.

3 people at that particular station had the crap scared outta them. What do you do when a car is spinning towards you! Seriously think about it. There is zero time to 2nd guess. React or be hurt.

Aaron your bang on the money, find a large immovable object to be behind. Else have an escape route planned, always watch whats coming towards you & stay on your toes.

Good to meet you Toby, anytime you wanna drive or passenger just shout. Thanks JP for the conversation & passenger ride.
Be safe out there.
ConeDodger
In 20 plus years of autocrossing this is only the second time I have heard of an injury. I believe about 5-6 years ago there was a cone worker tossed in the air at the 'Stick in SF. I believe it was an RX7 that hit him. I think his injuries might have been serious.

Hopefully, the guy is going to be alright. Sorry to hear it happened...

Rob
Dead Air
mad.gif

Do I sense something against Mazda's here? A boiling undercurrent? Some resentment comming out because of the MX-5's.
mskala
What's with the Evo's? At Devens earlier this year an Evo flipped
(not hitting anything, just tank-slapper). That's the only problem I've
heard of around here in 6 years. I wasn't there, it was at an SCCA
event a day before one of ours.
Rough_Rider
Hey Toby, pic's of your passanger ride. This was the only clean run i had through the slalom's. Maybe i need the extra ballast :-)
Rough_Rider
As opposed to the other runs..... well at least the camera man caught the cone in flight
Aaron Cox
any cracks in your fibreglass?

looks like it flexes a bunch unsure.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Oct 10 2005, 09:21 AM)
mad.gif

Do I sense something against Mazda's here? A boiling undercurrent? Some resentment comming out because of the MX-5's.

forget you medication this morning?? smile.gif

in what post does someone say anything negative about Mazdas?? wacko.gif

Joe Ricard
Those are some nice moves on them cones. Looks very straight line kinda thing going on. ie. fastest way through slalom is to make it as straight as possible. keeping nose pointed forward. I have such problems with that sometimes.
Then the last pic was just a little too straight.

Oh and I hope the guy is OK and will be able to work concessions next event. or timing & scoring.
Rough_Rider
Joe: i'll take that as a compliment. With this as my 4th AX i'm learning real fast. This was the 1st time i wasn't acting like a frightened deer. Actually took the time to study the course, ignored the fluff cones & keyed into the crucial bits. Now just 2 seconds of JP times.

Aaron: only a few cracks around the dzus fastners. Mounting tabs give quite a bit under load but as the whole front is one piece it all moves together.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Oct 10 2005, 12:13 PM)
. Now just 2 seconds of JP times.

Whall, sure...put some real tiars on that thing and you'll be right there....then we can talk "pinks" cool.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Oct 10 2005, 09:41 AM)
Hey Toby, pic's of your passanger ride. This was the only clean run i had through the slalom's. Maybe i need the extra ballast :-)

Dude, I'm still smiling from that run!
Britain Smith
Man...you guys forgot to tell me that there was an autocross this last weekend. I though someone said it was at the end of Oct. Oh well, where is there a calendar with the schedule so I can show up and meet some of you guys.

Do you all have other get togethers such as breakfast on Sat. or anything else?

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.