Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I smell something fishy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
looks really nice here .... a little pricy...

BUT......... I SEE RIVETS dry.gif I dont trust what was done there
jd74914
Could be bad, but it doesn't look that terrible. Who knows?
Email him about it, I'd like to hear his response cool.gif
fatlando
SHARP EYE grasshopper. I'm still trying to figure out what the "S" stands for?

fat lando
Hammy
Think that was posted in the classifieds before...
Still, nice car.
grasshopper
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Oct 9 2005, 06:04 PM)
Email him about it, I'd like to hear his response cool.gif

just did. hehe rolleyes.gif
Mueller
well, the way I look at it, I see something (the rivets) as possibly an excellent idea.....

since rivets can be removed and replaced fairly easy, that means the tray can be taken off and inspected more easily...not everything done "non-factory" is a bad thing biggrin.gif
Allan
Riveted in battery tray. Not the best solution IMHO...
fatlando
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 9 2005, 06:25 PM)

that blue 74 914-6 is sweet looking too... but did they make 6's in 74????

why's the battery in the front? Was that a factory thing?

oh well, i'm stuck on the ship now and can't wait to work on my car tomorrow!!
Mueller
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 9 2005, 07:25 PM)

and can you tell me why it's not a good way to do it??

if you say "not strong enough", I'll say bs.gif biggrin.gif

markb
Any idea how much of that tool kit is actually factory? Seems like a lot of stuff to me. confused24.gif
Demick
The ad is what is a crack up.

"Condition is equivalent to or better than 914-6’s of similar or higher price"

Considering this is a 2.0 four, it better damn well be!!

"All upgrades (fuel pump, lines, brakes, etc.) recommended by “Dr. 914” (G. Hussey IV) are complete."

Hmmmm. I wasn't aware of a fuel pump upgrade. I also wonder what brake upgrade the car has. And I guess the fuel line 'upgrade' must be the factory recall.

"The car is complete with correct battery and relay box covers"

I guess they must be included, but were removed for the pictures??? Seems odd.

Anyway, very nice car, but not worth anywhere near the $20K he's asking.
Engman

if you say "not strong enough", I'll say  

Muller has it right - properly placed this is an excellent way to do it.

M
Demick
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 9 2005, 08:35 PM)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=20&t=37798

cool_shades.gif

Ha Ha. So according to this, the car has the original battery tray. So what's the story on the rivets then?

TROJANMAN
if he had an A/C unit removed from the car, then it leaves a hole in that area. i know, b/c i have duct tape covering my hole now.

it could be he filled the hole with a scrap piece of metal and had it riveted in.

idea.gif
rhodyguy
no optima? dry.gif for that kind of money, it should have one. the bid history tells the story. i'm sure he's one dissapointed owner.

k
Sparky
Thats a hell of a long ground cable to be grounded right there at the coil...

Mike D.
grasshopper
here was the sellers answer to me question:

Apparently to reinforce the weld at the bottom of the battery tray bracket...long before my time, tho, and no other signs of problems, so can't say for sure. Maybe Karmann used them to locate the battery tray???

dry.gif
736conver
BUT......... I SEE RIVETS  I dont trust what was done there

What is worse is now he has removed that picture from the auction. Another case of the seller hiding something intentionally. This should be a clear indication of the sellers true nature.
red914
i sure wish mine was that nice. a lot of money, but it sure looks and sounds like a sweet car. especially with those minilites wub.gif
MecGen

Sweet ass car. I hope he gets it. Our cars are on the way up, gas prices.
I have a "real" buyers for car at 10K (waiting for me to make up my mind) My kick ass MonteSS can't get 5K.

I hope he posts his sold price. Nasty climb in prices in the last couple years.
TR6 = 15+K
Alfa = 10+K
Fiat = 8+k
Karman Gia Convertable = 15+K

I would put my 914 in this mix for sure !

Later - F**K good eyes smilie_pokal.gif

beerchug.gif
Matt Monson
Yeah,
Have you seen the new market report in Excellence? Our cars have gone up in value close to 20% in the last year. But I seriously doubt this guy will get his asking price. $19,500 opening bid? His reserve has got to be $25,000 or so. That's nuts. Even for a low mileage very original car. Those are 914-6 prices. Even that LE last month didn't break $15,000...
Aaron Cox
i was wondering about the ground strap at the coil
user posted image
Dead Air
QUOTE (fatlando @ Oct 9 2005, 06:07 PM)
SHARP EYE grasshopper.  I'm still trying to figure out what the "S" stands for?

My car looks just like that lol2.gif

$19.5000? Make it an even 20 and you gotta deal!! wacko.gif

The "S" is the 2.0 with the works in a european market.
See gustl topic I think called "a sensationell find" and read the fine print
in the brochure.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 9 2005, 06:35 PM)
Riveted in battery tray.  Not the best solution IMHO...

if you say "not strong enough", I'll say bs.gif biggrin.gif

I agree with him, Mike. Pop rivets used in this way are apt to have been done under less than ideal conditions, and the metal may not have been perfectly pressed together when assembled. Furthermore, they MAY be aluminum rivets, another bad thing, strengthwise. There'a a BIG load on them, all at the top of the triangle, acting like a pendulum, working those rivets to death. I've seen countless failures of pop rivet fastened parts, and I think they're the last option in most cases. The Cap'n
Dead Air
QUOTE (Demick @ Oct 9 2005, 07:27 PM)

"All upgrades (fuel pump, lines, brakes, etc.) recommended by “Dr. 914” (G. Hussey IV) are complete."

Hmmmm. I wasn't aware of a fuel pump upgrade. I also wonder what brake upgrade the car has. And I guess the fuel line 'upgrade' must be the factory recall.

[QUOTE]

Page 123, Appendix L in Hussey's "700 tech tips" calls for a Fuel Pump relocation '70-74 for vapor lock problems
TROJANMAN
icon_bump.gif for olav
JmuRiz
QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 10 2005, 06:32 AM)

What is worse is now he has removed that picture from the auction. Another case of the seller hiding something intentionally. This should be a clear indication of the sellers true nature.

I noticed that too...another reason not to trust someone trying to get the highest price possible...that thing should be perfect for that price an have no miles on it, haha...that extralong ground-cable is the craziest thing I've ever seen also.
SLITS
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Oct 12 2005, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 10 2005, 06:32 AM)

I noticed that too...another reason not to trust someone trying to get the highest price possible...that thing should be perfect for that price an have no miles on it, haha...that extralong ground-cable is the craziest thing I've ever seen also.

I added a ground with a bat cable, but it went from the engine bar mount (body) to the blower housing.......insurance you might say.
grasshopper
hhhmmmm.....no bids, who would have thought smile.gif wacko.gif
Hammy
Yet how many of us can say we have a car as sexy as that wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.