Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: porscharu
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
firstknight13
ok i have a list and am looking to you experienced guys for answers thank you for any and all help you can give!!!! this is a ej20t
1. is anyone using the stock subby ecu and harness? how is it hooked up?? do they run aftermarket guages? can it be spliced into the factory porsche harness?
2. does anyone run Link or Mega Squirt systems? can you recomend a system for me??
3. motor mounts, i need measurements and or a template to make them from.
4. radiator mounting position. and what radiator? what hoses or flex hoses? electric fan mounted i would imagine??
5. i have a air to water intercooler any input on it? will cooling be an issue?
6.charge pipes and exhaust? any input and or pics would be very helpfull or ideas??
7. fuel pump needs which pump should i use??
8. throttle cable??
9. i read somewhere about cutting the oilpan down so it won't be so low? if so what do i do ?? don't want to starve the oil???
10. if i missed anything please add to my list!! unsure.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (firstknight13 @ Oct 9 2005, 08:18 PM)
2. does anyone run Link or Mega Squirt systems? can you recomend a system for me??

I can help confuse you on a few of the items smile.gif

Megasquirt: besides using the factory ECU, this would be the most economical route for FI, there are a few Subaru guys running MS/EDIS [normally asp. and turbo'd (17psi)]

go to msefi.com and search for "subaru", a few threads will pop up that you can read

Link: Link offers both standalone and plug-in boards for some Subarus, very popular ECU...Quite a few shops support/service Subarus running Link so you should have good luck getting base maps and such.

For the standalone, I have one, and I had some difficulties, but most of the problems were owner (me) induced.

Personally, I "think" I'd go Haltech if I had to buy another standalone EFI..mostly due to more support and I know other people that have them.

The Megasquirt is way, way easy..in fact that is how I had problems with the Megasquirt, the documention, software and help programs people wrote did most of the work for you..you plug in a few numbers and bam, you are almost certain to have a config. ready to drive down the street...

Whatever method you go with, I highly recommend either an LM-1 or LC-1 Wideband O2 setup from Innovate Motorsports

TonyAKAVW
1. I'm going to be using the stock harness and ECU. Scott Thacher uses the stock harness and ECU. Hooking it up is not a 2 hour exercise... There's a lot of work that needs to be done to figure out the particular harness for the particular year engine and what wires you need, etc. There are manuals on line for the Subarus and those are a good starting point. Figure out what you need and go from there.

As far as guages go, I'm either going to use aftermarket guages, or build some kind of conversion circuit to use the stock guages (tach only pretty much)

Regarding the oil pan. I'm copying Scott's idea of cutting the oil pan and then welding on excess space for more oil in the form of a wide flat oil pan extension. I'll be working on that this week hopefully. Or you can buy one premade from Outback... They have quite a bit of stuff for Subaru engines including exhaust headers.
-Tony
jsteele22

I don't have the expertise to answer most of tour questions, but one thing I think I can comment on. You mentioned an intercooler, which pretty much implies you're going turbo. So, from what I've read, the engine-compartment radiator is out of the question. Not only will turbo plumbing take up space, but you'll have that much more heat to get rid of. So, as far as I know, the only choice left is the front trunk.
Matt Monson
You mention an AWIC, which leads me to believe that this is an EJ20G from an '89-94 Legacy GT or RS. Did you get the complete wiring harness and ECU with it? Did you get the boost control solenoid/pressure sensor assembly with it as well? If you did, the factory ECU will give you 200 or 220hp in stock form. There are a couple of tricks you can do to get more power without going to a piggy back. Boost cut is at 12.5 psi. You will need to build a fuel cut defender to go beyond that. Depending on if your engine is from an auto or manual will determine how much boost you can run. The auto's got a significantly smaller turbo. But either way, the simple and cheap Hallman boost controller can up your boost for you...

If you are going to use a Link, you will need to wire in the factory stuff anyways. Don't know anything about Megaqsuirt. Wiring isn't too bad if you have a complete harness to work off of. You just srtip off the ECU portion of the harness and make the appropriate power and ground connections. While it isn't too hard, it is time consuming. Expect wiring to take you up to 40 hours...
scotty914
okay for gauges i use a stock 914 tach, it works fine. i am also using an aftermarket temp guage and sender so i dont have to mess with the stock stuff. my harness just uses a stock plug from the relay board to interface the ign and stuff. then its just power and grounds.

as for radiator just order the stock one for the year the engine is from, then you wont have flow rate problems. as for the hoses use what fits. and yes fans are needed and they are easy you can get almost any fan that fits to work.

as for exhaust i built my own TRIAD type, mongrel built one with a cross flow muffler, lots of cheap ways to go. but buy the manifold from Outback they make a nice product. as for the oil pan you can do it your self but it takes a few hours and about 20 bucks in metal.

i have about 20 hours in my harness but i could do it again in less than 10 ( still needs a few more to finish it up )

also you might want to go to the yahoo suby vanagon group they have lots of great info, just dont tell them its going in to a 914 they will delete your post, go to the file and pic sections for lots of info
firstknight13
i have the ECU and harness plugs to it but no harness. scott or any one would you be interested in making some extra bucks doing up a harness with diagrams??? also looking for info on the engine mounts?? thanks this club ROCKS biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif ej20t
banksyinoz
ej20t
Q; will the intake manifold/ throttle body foul on the boot wall or will you turn it around? will turning this around and flipping the alternator interfere with the water to air?

Q; will your turbo foul the boot floor?
i am mounting mine infront of the engine as we speak
will use offset custom muffler out your drivers side

engine harness is suby spliced into ems & 914
done by previous owner who has 2xmasters degree computer engineering (so dont ask me)

with the wolf ems i am thinking of leaving the laptop mounted to the consol as it can display all the appropriate gages or maybe a dvd screen

have mounted radiator in front will be running pipe under the centre of the car with front wheel drive engine thermos also i have been thinking of using electric gates water pump

go water to air if you can all the top circuit guys seem to be using them over here with great effect

used intank series V mazda rx7 13bt fuel pump

scotts oil pan is the way to go

Matt Monson
Fisrst Knight,

You say you have the ECU and the 4 ECU harness plugs? Do you have the engine harness that sticks out of the manifold? How about the connectors for the chassis side? They often cut them after the engine harness, right next to the battery? What about the ignitor? You have a coil on plug igntion and need an ignitor? And the boost control/pressure sensor assembly?

I could potentially make you a harness. I have done a couple of Ej20 swaps in Subarus. A 914 would be far easier, but I need to know what I am dealing with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.