Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans fill plug removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
So I was ready to fill up the trans and when I checked the fill plug it was a 17mm or so socket! What do you guys use? an old bolt with some nuts on it?

Let me know if I can pick something up at the FLAPS so I can get the car back off of the jackstands this week!

Thanks for all the help guys!
ArtechnikA
here are some of the 100 or so threads from when the question was asked and answered before...
rhodyguy
17mm hex w/ 1/2"drive, impact gun, air compressor, 5 seconds.

k
ArtechnikA
this (pictured) is what i use on VW's and 914/4's. 911's and /6's use 19mm external nex plugs.
URY914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Oct 10 2005, 05:17 AM)
this (pictured) is what i use on VW's and 914/4's. 911's and /6's use 19mm external nex plugs.

Snap-on!

Ain't that perrrrrrrtty. laugh.gif

P
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Oct 10 2005, 08:17 AM)

they sell them for like $5 @ bug shops without the fancy chrome... smile.gif

one of those + a 2', 1/2"-drive breaker bar...
airsix
Go to your local FLAPS and ask for a 17mm hex key. They will tell you they don't have a hex key that large. Then ask for a "VW transmission drain plug wrench" and they will hand you a 17mm hex key.

-Ben M.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 10 2005, 09:22 AM)
Snap-on!
Ain't that perrrrrrrtty.

it is - and considering i use it exactly twice per transmission - to remove the fill, and then drain plugs before replacing them with their 911 external-hex equivalents, it's pretty expensive on a $-per-use basis. but it's smaller and lighter than the 17mm hex key (i still have one of those too, but it never makes the track box...) and considering i bought it about 20 years ago, i figure i've got my money's worth.

what i don't like about the 17mm key, aside from the fact that it is actually not that much cheaper, is that there are so many DAPOs who don't understand the tapered-pipe-plug concept and think they need a zillion lbs-ft of torque to make it seal, or not fall out. when you're working near the ground as most of us do, there (too) often isn't enough room for the long extension pipe needed to make enough torque since there are at best only a couple of 60-degree-index positions the key can be inserted into the plug.

just having a square drive and a hex plug gives you lots more index options even if you don't mount it on a ratchet.

you only need 'snug' torque to effect a seal, and safety-wired plugs don't fall out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.