Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine rotation direction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
i want to do a preliminary valve adjustment on a long block and maybe install the distributor and want to know in which direction, clockwise or counter clockwise, does the stock 2.0L engine rotate, that is, as you look at the flywheel, would the engine turn clockwise or counter clockwise? when i installed the p&c's, i lubed everything up and also ask if rotating the crank and p&c's in the longblock will score the cylinders or score the bearings. many TIA

the engine is the one in the avatar but i am further along, just ordered a few of the last required pieces, triad should be the last smile.gif
bondo
Counter-clockwise from the flywheel end. Pretty much all engines except Hondas and Corvairs turn that way.
bondo
Oh yeah, and if it's all lubed up you can definitely turn it to adjust the valves. If it doesn't turn easy with no plugs then something is wrong, and you should NOT turn it until the problem is fixed.
Mark Henry
Clockwise from the pulley end (as in your avatar) is the correct way to state its rotation direction.

Find TDC #1 adjust #1 valves, rotate 180 degress counter-clockwise adjust #2, again rotate 180 degress counter-clockwise adjust #3, rotate 180 degress counter-clockwise adjust #4
type47
many thanks. i just tried to answer my own question by turning the engine and i read your answers and they both jive. as i looked at the flywheel, i turned it counter clockwise and the intake valves opened in order 1-4-3-2 which is the firing order.

one more question; there is a notch on the flywheel that seemed to be correctly located aligned with the TOP seam of the crankcase. i vaguely recall something about the notch being visible at the bottom seam viewed thru a hole where the trans mounts to the engine. what is that alignment of the notch and the bottom of the engine? anything? i'm pretty sure this is a 914 flywheel (better be, it's installed!) again TIA

mark henry; in your valve adjust directions i assume your counterclockwise rotation is in keeping with your clockwise engine rotation viewing the pulley end?
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (type47 @ Oct 10 2005, 11:08 AM)
one more question; there is a notch on the flywheel that seemed to be correctly located aligned with the TOP seam of the crankcase. i vaguely recall something about the notch being visible at the bottom seam viewed thru a hole where the trans mounts to the engine. what is that alignment of the notch and the bottom of the engine? anything? i'm pretty sure this is a 914 flywheel (better be, it's installed!) again TIA

Since you have access to the flywheel, hand paint a clear line with white paint 180 degrees from your flywheel "notch".

Now you can rotate the engine from underneath the car and view each 180 degree mark from underneath the car as they come around to establish your correct position for the next cylinder valve adjustment.

Otherwise you will have to crawl out from underneath to look at the "notch" from above, and then crawl back under to make the next adjustment, and then crawl back out again, etc...

Saves a lot of time and let's you know exactly where you are while underneath the car.

Make sense? rolleyes.gif

Dave_Darling
The transmission bellousing has notches both top and bottom. Paint the flywheel 180 degrees from the mark you have noticed; you can then use the paint mark to find TDC#1/#3 through the bottom bellhousing notch, and the existing mark to find TDC#2/#4.

--DD
redshift
When you are ready to do 30 minute valve adjustments, let me know..

wink.gif

I KNOW THIS!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.