Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How screw'd am I?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
Another complete newbie, mechanical idiot question.... I think my tranny is leaking fluid. There's fluid seeping out of the seam along the bell housing. I don't think its oil because the fluid seems thicker than motor oil and there is no leaking around the sump or oil filter.

I don't have the tools or know how so I've been getting my car worked on by Motor Sports International in Portland. I have a feeling that it's going to cost me a bunch. Will I have to drop the motor to work on the tranny?

Lastly, being told that my alternator may not be fully charging so that's going to add to the cost.....

Other than that, I love my car!!!

Mahalos,
Vince
confused24.gif
Dead Air
I don't think you have to drop the motor.
DNHunt
First find out if it is Tranny lubricant or engine oil. Tranny fluid smells bad. It's hard to describe but, once you smell it you'll remember it. So if you aren't sure have someone else smell it or smell someone else's.

If it's tranny fluid it's the imput shaft seal on the transmission. This doesn't require dropping the engine but, youneed to drop the tranny.

If it's oil it's almost surely the crankshaft main seal and I can't imagine removing the flywheel and retorquing without dropping the engine.

With both check the clutch and associated hardware cause it's a good time to replace it and oil will ruin the disc.

Both require significant tools and time. either find a real good friend to help you and supply real good beer or let the shop do it and have $$ ready.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Dave
Rough_Rider
Should be pretty straightforward to check the tightness of all the bolts on the trans. If it is coming from the bellhouseing direct then new seals are in order. Either engine main shaft Or input shaft seal.

Neither are expensive parts, but labour is a killer.

I have space in my shop, but sadly not the expertise todo the job. Who's up for a trans dropping session??
Porsche Rescue
If it is only "seeping", leaving a spot on the floor of about a 1 to 2 inch circle overnight, let it seep. Gear oil and motor oil are much less expensive than replacing seals. Check the level about every 2 weeks until you determine how often you need to add oil. Wait to reseal until the engine needs major work.
Eric Taylor
My car is doing the same thing, but mine is not seeping onto the floor, just down the trany case. I've replaced both the rear main on the engine and the input shaft seal on two separate occasions dry.gif and at this point it's not leaking enough for me to care. I think it might be the seal between the breather and the case, that would be a good place to check first. If you do decide to do the input seals, its really not that bad. I did both without dropping the engine, and honestly it's not that bad at all to get the tranny out. Heres a couple of couple of tips from someone whos been their. Make sure you place something under the motor to support it, like a jack stand when you pull the tranny. If you don't the motor will want to fall out of the car when remove the tranny from the mounts, ask me how i know biggrin.gif . Also devise a good plan for the moving the tranny down, because it's an akward bitch on the top of a floor jack, I almost dropped it one time. Anyway, it can be done easily with some careful planning. Good luck you can do it and it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you get the tranny out for the first time.
Eric
Sammy
Clean everything until it is spotless, then drive and re-check. You should be able to identify the type of oil and the source. Air cooled motors have a habit of making oil leaks go everywhere.
dropping the tranny takes about an hour, maybe less if you are good at it, longer if it's a new thing.
changing a rear main seal only takes 10 minutes after you have the tranny out if you have he tools and expertise.
Rear main seal takes a little longer, but there are plenty of other possible sources of the leak. Things like the pressed in plugs on the rear of the motor, possibly leaking on top and running down, etc.
it could even be from the sump cover and getting blown backwards.
make sure you know the source of the leak for sure before you jump into it or pay someone to fix the wrong thing.
McMark
QUOTE (Sammy @ Oct 10 2005, 05:07 PM)
Clean everything until it is spotless, then drive and re-check.

agree.gif

My money is on the shifter shaft seal.
olav
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Oct 10 2005, 03:52 PM)
My car is doing the same thing, but mine is not seeping onto the floor, just down the trany case. I've replaced both the rear main on the engine and the input shaft seal on two separate occasions dry.gif and at this point it's not leaking enough for me to care. I think it might be the seal between the breather and the case, that would be a good place to check first. If you do decide to do the input seals, its really not that bad. I did both without dropping the engine, and honestly it's not that bad at all to get the tranny out. Heres a couple of couple of tips from someone whos been their. Make sure you place something under the motor to support it, like a jack stand when you pull the tranny. If you don't the motor will want to fall out of the car when remove the tranny from the mounts, ask me how i know biggrin.gif . Also devise a good plan for the moving the tranny down, because it's an akward bitch on the top of a floor jack, I almost dropped it one time. Anyway, it can be done easily with some careful planning. Good luck you can do it and it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you get the tranny out for the first time.
Eric

I just pulled my tranny last Friday.

How much do those things weigh because I just got underneath it and pulled it off and put it on the floor resting on 2x4's. Emptied the fluid first though.

I'm guessing 75lbs or so. Pretty light.
Trekkor
have someone else smell it or smell someone else's.

unsure.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif

sorry...
olav
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 10 2005, 06:03 PM)
have someone else smell it or smell someone else's.

unsure.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif

sorry...

I've only smelled mine... huh.gif
McMark
Trekkor, you're the one who said you like the smell of Swepco. ohmy.gif
icon8.gif
olav

Fresh Swepo sure looks purdy. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
True, but I wasn't talking about that... pinch.gif
Sammy
Another trick is to climb under the car being very careful not to get anything on you.

If despite your best efforts you end up with a big glob of it in your hair, it's either tranny fluid or CV joint grease wink.gif

If it gets in your eyes, it's brake fluid.
If it gets on your hootus, it's heculiner laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.