Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
The title says it all. Looking for ideas, opinions and especially past experiences, good and bad.

Thanks
MarkV
Remove all of the glass & guts, makes the door heavy and more prone to damage. Make sure to protect the front & rear edges of the doors w/ some heavy cardboard or hard foam. Those edges get bent in shipping and are hard to repair. Don't send them UPS, they send things to a central depot first, too much handling. Greyhound Bus is the best bet for body parts.
Mueller
I shipped a pair of doors a few years ago....... built a frame with 1x1 pieces of wood, stapled heavy cardboard to the frame...no reports of damage.

SLITS
shipped a pair of 911 doors. Normal position on pallet, resting on foam, seperated by foam, plastic strapped to pallet and wrapped with stretch wrap with foam protecting door edges, shipped common carrier LTL with insurance......arrived in perfect condition......did not remove anything from doors.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (MarkV @ Oct 10 2005, 12:31 PM)
Greyhound Bus is the best bet for body parts.

agree.gif
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Oct 10 2005, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (MarkV @ Oct 10 2005, 12:31 PM)
Greyhound Bus is the best bet for body parts.

agree.gif

Stupid question here, how do you know when stuff arrives via Greyhound? Do they call you? Never shipped anything with them. confused24.gif
VegasRacer
You pack the item and take it to the bus depot. They tell you exactly which bus it will be on and the schedule. The person on the other end has to go down and pick it up.
TC/914
I second Greyhound Bus! ! ! I just had a fiberglass Ghia tilt nose and Ghia sun roof/roof clip shipped by bus and it was a breese. It's easier and more professional than the "regular" shippers and MUCH friendlier.

The shipper brings the part(s) to the terminal, fills out the forms pays the $ and done. The receiver gets a phone call when the parts arrive by bus and has about four days to come for it/them. If there's a problem, they hold it a while longer for you.

I'm using Greyhound for everything large from now on. Cheap, easy, friendly. Can't be beat !

Luck !

TC
Air_Cooled_Nut
Our shop uses Greyhound as well. I believe you can insure items but I'm not 100% (I don't do the actual shipping) but I would definitely recommend it. They're not perfect shippers: We shipped a windshield [for a VW] and it arrived cracked/broken. Greyhound claimed it was back packaging (wrong) but we stood our ground and they paid for a replacement. But they're better than regular shippers so we use 'em.
Brando
greyhound for heavy/large objects for sure. I've used them a few times and nothing but good experiences. They beat UPS and FedEx's freight charges too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.