Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It was the coil!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
Well, for everyone who help with my 914 at the Red Rock Classic and for anyone who wanted to know what the trouble was when I found it..........well........

It was the coil.

Slits replace the coil and cleaned some contacts yesterday, and had me run it. I ran for 20+ miles, up hills, in stop-sign town, on the freeway. No problems.
Then it was driven up to Big Bear and back.
Still No Problems! mueba.gif aktion035.gif

Now, in other news. I will have to spend some time AWAY FROM THE CLUB. The friend and mother that I have been living with asked me to leave because "they want the house to themselves." dry.gif alfred.gif flipa.gif

So......... sad.gif i'm out for a while until I can find a place that I can afford. chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
And maybe a second job and/or another job that pays more laugh.gif (so I don't have to live in the Ghetto too long. hide.gif )

Damn, and just when the teener was running again and Kevin Foust came back into the scene. headbang.gif

Take care everyone!
wavey.gif
brant
I'm happy and I'm sad.
glad you found the teener issue though...

I hope you find the perfect situation easily, and we will miss you!

brant
Aaron Cox
toasty one....

sorry to hear of your domicile dysfuntion sad.gif

good to hear the yellow car is on the road again! smilie_pokal.gif
Carlitos Way
You know... you never can say "good bye" for good. "See you around" seems more appropriate. Good luck in your endeavors.

C.
MoveQik
Glad you found the problem.

Best of luck on finding a new crib! Don't be gone too long....
Sammy
If I was young, single, and good looking I would offer a solution but I don't think zero out of three is going to cut it wink.gif
LvSteveH
Glad you got it figured out. It's pretty rare for a coil to go bad. I did the roommate thing for a few years, way back when, and it was hit or miss. Finding someone you can live with without driving each other nuts is a lot easier said than done.

You could rent neverland from Joe! I had an older motorhome like his and it was only $280 month to stay in a nice upscale rv park.
GWN7
Glad you cars fixed. I have a house you can use for the cost of utilities only after the end of November, but the 3600 mile commute might pose a problem.....

Sammy don't you know that gals like a guy who is funny and sensitive....next time offer her a back/foot rub ..........but use chicken fat. wink.gif laugh.gif
eeyore
What were the symptoms of this problem?

(I'm trying to figure out a problem on my car. Seems ingition related)
VegasRacer
I am glad you got the problem figured out and fixed. (thanks Ron)

Good luck with your search for a new residence (and job).
I hope you don't end up living in a van down by the river.
SLITS
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Oct 10 2005, 01:35 PM)
What were the symptoms of this problem?  

(I'm trying to figure out a problem on my car.  Seems ingition related)

Car would start normally and idle. After heating up, tach looked like it was going nutz and car would die and not restart. After sitting car would restart and upon acceleration mode, would missfire, catch, missfire then die...while the tach would never read correctly.

Solution:

1.) Thinking it was the ignition switch (they said if they wiggled it, it would keep running), it was replaced. Old switch was not bad mad.gif

2.) Thought about it for a while....must be the relay board.....changed....no effect mad.gif mad.gif

3.) Ok, gotta be the engine harness, so wired coil directly from battery (removed engine harness lead from coil first).....no effect mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

4.) Took cover off TPS and crocus clothed the points and traces....no effect.... mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

5.) Gave in and changed coil....car started ran and accelerated as it should.....drove it around for about 40 miles and then up the mountain 70 miles.....never missed a beat. biggrin.gif Tach worked correctly at all times.

Apparently, as the coil got hot, it was shorting or ????? Have never seen this before, but....what the hell.

PS, forgot....took dizzy cap off to look at Crane ignition...wiped dizzy cap out (dust) and "fingered" the pickup as it looked like it may have been rubbing on the trigger wheel (no marks, just a little dust on the trigger wheel....what the hell, it's been in there before the WCC04).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....................!
Flat VW
I only "guessed" coil once,, it wern't. mad.gif

John
SLITS
It wasn't the coil John, it was wiping the dust outta the dizzy cap laugh.gif
Flat VW
arcing across the dust in the cap or pick-up dirty? confused24.gif

J
BMITCHELL
Had the same problem a year ago with the 1.8. Changed a lot of parts chasing the problem. Put in a new blue coil and the problem was solved.
Gint
clap.gif Yeah! Glad you got it fixed, but sorry to hear about the housing issue. You'll get there though.

At least the car runs!
SLITS
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Oct 10 2005, 04:33 PM)
arcing across the dust in the cap or pick-up dirty? confused24.gif

J

Ok John, it was a bad joke............it was the coil in all probablility......just thought I would throw a ringer in...........
Flat VW
But,but ----IT"S NEVER the COIL!! spank.gif

J
kdfoust
Hey wait for us....

You're not planning on moving to Chesnia or something are you? I hope you get settled again soon.

If you disappear, you'll miss the 3.2 rollout.

Later,
Kevin
Brando
Hey Melbatoasty... Needing roommates? Rhonda and I will be lookin for 2bd 1ba places in a few months. Maybe 3bd 2ba?
Toast
Thanks everyone for your concern. I'll let ya know when I settle in.

"See ya around." bootyshake.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.