Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to sell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I'm seriously considering getting out of the 914 world. My teener has been sitting for about 6 weeks and no end in sight. I might have located an engine, but the prospect of dropping the engine and going back to a really rough shifting car is making me reconsider.

The car is in fairly good condition in terms of aesthetics. It has some nice enhancements. Some nice "custom" touches that the PO did. Lots of chrome where you wouldn't expect it. I have upgraded the brakes, installed after-market seats and replaced the clutch within the past year.

The engine most likely dropped a valve seat. I don't have the place to work on the car and the HOA is giving me a hard time about keeping my car where it is.

So... the question is.. what to do? take a HUGE loss selling the car as is? Sell it for parts and hope the HOA doesn't tow it away... or fix it.

Any thoughts you might have are welcome.
mightyohm
flipa.gif HOA flipa.gif

SLITS
While the idea of changing an engine over is not the most appealing....it can be arranged.....you know the drill and what phone call to make......it will sell for more money running...................
effutuo101
HOA's suck! if you get the motor swapped out, you could keep it. No? What about getting a space at a storage center for a few months while you think about it?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Oct 10 2005, 12:10 PM)
So... the question is.. what to do?

i'm sure there are a few club members in your neck of the woods that would be willing to help you with dropping/installing the engine.
just provide BBQ and beer!

my totally biased vote is for keeping it!
smash.gif Andy
Carlitos Way
I may still have to upgrade the engine to sell it... but I'm still going to have a sloppy shifting teener... guess I could do an engine drop/shift enhancement BBQ. I hear they had a good turnout at the last one. But I'm also in BFE compared to the Inland Empire.

Carlitos Way
QUOTE (SLITS @ Oct 10 2005, 11:54 AM)
While the idea of changing an engine over is not the most appealing....it can be arranged.....you know the drill and what phone call to make......it will sell for more money running...................

OK Slits, you've talked me into it. I'm getting the engine from you this weekend. Let's talk about it over the weekend and figure out when/how. I've got my truck so that shouldn't be a problem. How many people do you think it would take to load it?

c.
Trekkor
What are the bigger cities nearby?
I'm trying ti think where you are located.

Keep it...

the shifter problem is likely simple.

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Oct 10 2005, 01:49 PM)
OK Slits, you've talked me into it.

well, that was easy! smilie_pokal.gif

and while you have the engine out, get a set of new shifter bushings to fix that sloppy shifting of yours.
also check for broken tranny and motor mounts.

they *can* be made to shift very nice, for surprisingly little $$$ ...
driving.gif Andy
SLITS
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Oct 10 2005, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Oct 10 2005, 11:54 AM)

OK Slits, you've talked me into it. I'm getting the engine from you this weekend. Let's talk about it over the weekend and figure out when/how. I've got my truck so that shouldn't be a problem. How many people do you think it would take to load it?

c.

1.) You do not need to get the engine from me. (two people can lift it though & I do have a forklift)

2.) You need to arrange a trailer to bring the car to the ****gasp**** I.E. and possibly leave it here for a week.

3.) It will take about 2 days (Sat & Sun). Saturday is for dropping, changing FI over and reinstallation. Sunday is for bullshitting about it (and making sure it runs).

4.) I need to arrange a weekend where I can free the lift and not have things pressing. Remember...the swap meet is on the 23rd.

5.) There are plenty of deranged personalitites that will provide discouragement and little help.

6.) Call Glenn @ PP and get new shifter bushings.

7.) Now turn to the east, drop to your knees, fold your hands in front of your face, and repeat three times....."Dr Ferry, blessed be thy creation...it will run again".
jasons
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Oct 10 2005, 12:01 PM)
HOA's suck! if you get the motor swapped out, you could keep it. No? What about getting a space at a storage center for a few months while you think about it?

The best thing about HOA's, I acquired my current 914 for free because someone elses HOA was breathing down their neck about it.
smilie_pokal.gif

Otherwise, they are commie and I would never live in one.
Carlitos Way
Hi Ron,

I really appreciate your help. It is definitely going above and beyond the call of duty, and this I really appreciate. As far as my schedule, I'm free most weekends. At least during the day. I am working Saturday evenings (god bless karaoke). But I can drive back and forth... karaoke doesn't start until 8:00... The weekend of the 29th is going to be rough, because I have an early party out in East L.A.

So... what works for you? I'm willing to provide vittles/beverages/bribes as needed. Maybe we can get someone else to help... I think Aaron can be bribed. Hopefully someone else too? I think I might have access to a friend's trailer, but he's kinda having issues right now, so i'm not sure. if worse comes to worse... I think i've made friends with the local tow yard AAA guys, so I might be able to get the card towed over there...

So.. let me know your schedule.. and let's make it happen.

Again, thanks for your help.

Carlos

markb
Glad to hear you can work it out to keep it. Life without a teener is dull. Nothing to work on on the weekends, nothing to use as an excuse to check out ebay (OK, so we don't really need an excuse). biggrin.gif
Jeroen
quiting after only six weeks?
ya wuss... newbie owner... slap.gif

laugh.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Oct 10 2005, 04:49 PM)
Hi Ron,

I really appreciate your help. It is definitely going above and beyond the call of duty...

He's always doing that kinda stuff... pray.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.